PDA

View Full Version : Piper Cub flying in Florida

invertedspin10
9th Feb 2006, 17:38
I am planning to go to florida in May to do my FAA floatplane rating on a J3 cub . this takes a couple of days and the rest of the time I plan to do some flying round Florida. I was hoping to be able to rent a piper cub (or similar) afterwards . Does anyone know of any schools that will rent a cub ?
Also does anyone know what sort of minimum hours you are expected todo if you rented an aircraft for say a 5 day block?

Any other help or advice on flying in florida would be great.

Many thanks

QDMQDMQDM
9th Feb 2006, 18:21
Very few Cubs for rental, I suspect. Ask at www.supercub.org

QDM

B2N2
9th Feb 2006, 19:42
We briefly looked into putting a taildragger on the flightline.
It is as good as impossible to get insurance as a commercial operation.
Dual only, yes...solo rental impossible.
Jack Brown stopped renting out solo long time ago.
I know of several places where you can rent dual, none of them solo.

ChampChump
9th Feb 2006, 20:09
They're right. Insurance costs, amongst other things, have removed many rental aircraft from one of our favourte playgrounds and the tailwheels were the first casualties. :{ :{ :{ :{ :{
On the other hand, if P1 isn't so vital, you could, for example, do a BFR in a something interesting, such as a Stearman..
If logging time as P1 matters, find a spamcan, pay whatever it costs to checkout and rent, because it'll still be cheaper than here - and enjoy yourself!
:cool:

knobbygb
9th Feb 2006, 22:00
About 3000 miles out of the way, but Amelia Reid Aviation at Reid-Hillview near San Jose, CA rent taildraggers. They have no Cubs, but have Citabrias Taylorcraft and Aeroncas. OK, so it's a long way extra to travel, but it proves these aircraft can still be found if you look around. Flights to the west coast can be had quite (relatively) cheaply and the flying out there's MUCH more interesting and varied than Florida (I just got back from 5 days flying out that way).

Oh, and in answer to your other question, everyone I've every rented from by the day has required a 3 hour minimum for each 24 hour period. I've heard of others asking for 4 - especially at weekends.

Good luck, and Email me if you need more info.

DubTrub
9th Feb 2006, 23:02
I have just today organised borrowing a "Cub-type" for my annual hols in the US..I generally try to borrow someone's on those occasions I get over there. I of course have the necessary FAA ticket & BFR.
To be honest, borrowing is easier than renting and cheaper. A little networking with your "type club" will provide ample opportunity for introductions, certainly if you reciprocate over here.
A bunch of hours helps, and depends where you want to go, of course, but have you tried Steve Krog?
Amelia Reid One of my heros, bless her soul.
DT

StillStanding
10th Feb 2006, 06:48
Preston Aviation have a Cub (and a Stearman) about an hour North of Orlando during winter months.

http://www.flytailwheel.com/

I tried to fly one of them last week when I was in Florida but they were fully booked. Peggy is very helpful and responsive and will return calls/emails.

slim_slag
10th Feb 2006, 09:01
Also does anyone know what sort of minimum hours you are expected todo if you rented an aircraft for say a 5 day block?
As already said, insurance costs have taken a lot of flying schools out of the taildragger business. It's hard to blame the insurance companies for this, claims were higher than premiums. Schools have also been told that if they make another claim they will not get insurance again, so they have cut out the higher risk stuff, like taildraggers. The schools I know who will still rent solo have a high standard of instruction and strictly enforced currency requirements, but will still not let you keep it overnight. Obviously I don't know all of them :) DubTrub has the right way of doing it. There are plenty of really decent pilots who own planes that don't get flown enough, finding one and coming to some mutual arrangement is the best way to go.