PDA

View Full Version : Possible Medical Problems

f00fight
9th Feb 2006, 00:19
Hello, I'm a first-time poster with some questions about H+S and the medical for a trainee ATCO. I have completed my application form but haven't yet submitted it.

Firstly, I have only one arm and I'd like to know whether this would disqualify me from becoming an ATCO?

Secondly, when I was a teenager (13/14), I spent time on prozac :\ having been diagnosed with OCD. I'd like to know whether examiners would have full access to my GP records or if it would be up to me to disclose it? Will this previous problem cause me to fail the medical?

Any help greatly appreciated.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Feb 2006, 07:00
fOOfight.. You need to contact SRG Medical Department at Gatwick, tell them the situation and get some advice. I don't know about Prozac or what OCD is but you must discuss this with the medics. If it's a problem which has been sorted out I imagine you would be OK. However, without wishing to upset you too much, I suspect the arm may be the major problem, although I do not know official policy. During a lifetime in the profession I never worked with anyone in that situation and I can think of a number of reasons why you would have difficulty doing the job, unless you have an artificial limb which functions pretty well. Hopefully, now, others will post plenty of information about one-armed controllers (working like paperhangers!!).
I wish you all the luck in the world.

f00fight
11th Feb 2006, 10:50
Thanks for your reply, I'll contact them ASAP. Here's hoping it'll be good news.

Farmer 1
11th Feb 2006, 10:54
Please keep us informed, f00fight, hopefully with good news.

Best of luck.

qcode
11th Feb 2006, 11:18
I hope I am wrong in saying this and I wish you all the best, but I do not think that, owing to your condition, that you will be accepted. ATCO's need to use both arms and could not possibly function with only the use of one at certain units. Smaller and quieter units you may well be able to. There are also other factors to consider such as evacuation of a tower in emergencies. Could you climb down a vertical ladder to escape. Could you drive the emergency land rover and use a hand held radio at the same time. These are a couple of things that NATS will have to consider and it will be a tester for them. If you do get through the tests, interview and medical then the hardest thing will be the practical side of the job. I'm sure with your condition you have had many challenges and overcome them. I hope you will be able to overcome, if successful,the ATCO ones. Unfortunately it is the decision for NATS to make and once it is made it is hard to appeal. If you remember recently some poor chap was refused because he was too tall, he appealed but got nowhere. Good luck.

f00fight
11th Feb 2006, 11:25
Yea, I read about the tall guy. But it's something I really want so I'll definitely go for it. I will let you know of my progress either way.

belk78
12th Feb 2006, 10:45
Because he was too tall?
how tall was he??? I´ve never heard of anything like that down here in Spain.
luckily i´m within the average spanish height...