PDA

View Full Version : HSI query

Fokkerwokker
8th Feb 2006, 17:06
Has anyone seen a Sandel (or similar) HSI fitted in a PA28 Warrior?

If it does fit is it approved in the UK?

Is it a practical proposition for IMC training?

Your thoughts appreciated.

FlyingForFun
8th Feb 2006, 18:01
Would I sound thick if I said I was not familiar with Sandel???

Anyway, never heard of Sandel - but I'm guessing it's just an avionics brand name, and what you're really asking is if it's possible to fit any HSI to a PA28?

If that's the case, British Aerospace Flying Club, who hangar their aircraft in the hangar where I work, have two PA28s, both equipped with HSI and RMI.

Hope that's at least a little bit of help?

FFF
--------------

Fokkerwokker
8th Feb 2006, 21:09
Thanks FFF

The following URL tells you more. I was wondering if anyone in the UK/Europe had gone down this route for an aircraft as small as the PA28.

http://www.sandel.com/SN3500_EHSI.php

Ta!

FW

18greens
9th Feb 2006, 06:21
Doesn't the Sandel look fantastic.

Why can't we have datalink Wx in the UK?

FlyingForFun
9th Feb 2006, 19:15
Nice picture!

(And a very diplomatic way of replying to me that I didn't answer your question!)

FFF
-------------

A and C
12th Feb 2006, 16:51
The older Sandel HSI's are very good in low light conditions but when the sun gets on to them the unit is sometimes hard to see, it is also practicly useless for instruction as it can't be seen from the right hand seat.

To address the problems Sandel have produced the SN3500 this has a new display and is said to be much better, I will get to see the new unit in a week or so and will let you know what I think.

Fokkerwokker
13th Feb 2006, 15:18
Thanks A&C...I await your deliberations :ok:

FW

A and C
24th Feb 2006, 19:32
At last I have seen the SN3500 running during instalation testing. the display is vastly better than the old units to simulate bright sunlight a light sorce was placed to give the most reflection and I was in the right seat of the aircraft. This was the worst veiwing situation that we could set up in the hangar and under these conditions the old unit would have been imposable to see. I am pleased to say that the display was clearly visable and easy to read and in my opinion the quality of the display is almost up to the standard of the units fitted to the B737NG.

I think that Sandel have a real winner with the SN3500 and I am sure that it will be the benchmark that all the other avionic companys will have to judge HSI type products by.

I will be fitting an SN3500 as soon as is practicable as it is without doubt the best EHSI in this market sector.

Fokkerwokker
26th Feb 2006, 20:29
A & C

Many thanks indeed for the heads up.

Hoping to see one in action shortly

Regds

FW