PDA

View Full Version : Best UK Flying Magazine?

GrassStrip
8th Feb 2006, 16:26
Hello
It's subscription renewal time and I'm looking for some advice on which flying mag you all love.
I'm currently subscribing to Flyer, which is pretty good, but a lot of the articles are a bit bland - not read Pilot for a long time - is it any good now?
Can you recommend any other good ones?
Ta
GS

stiknruda
8th Feb 2006, 16:37
If I were you, I'd register for a free subscription to LOOP.

Good UK GA based editorial.

http://www.loop.aero/

Stik

dublinpilot
8th Feb 2006, 17:41
I'm currently on a two year subscription to Flyer and a two year sub to Todays Pilot.

I'll definitely be renewing my Flyer subscription when it comes around, but am unlikely to renew my Todays Pilot sub.

I've been a subscriber to both magazines for four years now, and while I feel that Flyer has got better and better, the same can't be said for TP.

TP did get better for awhile, but seems to have gone downhill in the last year. It seems to do endless reviews of old aircraft, and prides itself on the number of flight tests that it can squash into each issue. For some this may be great, but for me, I couldn't be bothered reading reviews of aircraft that I will probably never get to fly.

I much prefer the trip reports and pilot educational articles that are more common in Flyer.

Some day one of them will get an Air Traffic Controller to write a good regular column for one of them. I hope it's Flyer!

dp.

ps. I bet this thread will run and run though

IO540
8th Feb 2006, 18:17
I think they could all do with a major overhaul, to drag them into the 21st century. They all cater for low time pilots who fly locally. They also print too much plain inaccurate stuff, especially in the readers' letters sections. Like that man who wrote in to a rather well known mag saying the FAA PPL/IR is a piece of cake and that he did in 2 weeks including going to Disney. Yeah, right. Not going from PPL level he didn't! Stuff like that should never make it to print; the mags carry a responsibility to not propagate disinformation.

Of course, not everybody will agree :O

The American mags are much better if longer range flying is the objective; much more modern and actually cost less despite the airmail.

AerBabe
8th Feb 2006, 18:25
I tend to dip in and out of both Flyer and Today's Pilot. I won a subscription to Flyer last year, which is almost up. I won't be renewing it ... but I'll still buy the odd copy now and then. I rarely read Pilot though, but for no good reason!

Jucky
8th Feb 2006, 19:03
Some day one of them will get an Air Traffic Controller to write a good regular column for one of them. I hope it's Flyer!

Why would you want to?:ugh:

I read Flyer and Pilot

muffin
8th Feb 2006, 20:02
Actually I think the best one of the lot is the AOPA UK mag. You can read last month's issue on their web site. I get the others but throw them away after I have read them.

Champagne Anyone?
8th Feb 2006, 20:08
Flyer!! Most definitely!! A brilliant read! John Farleys articles are priceless and are really informative, bringing diverse views of systems, aircraft and safety features to the fore and in such a gripping and compelling way!

Just about to renew my subs to it.

Toadys Pilot?? No chance! Badly written, inaccurate as mentioned above. The major problem I see is that they are very gullible and print utter tosh about certain clubs who have a more than dubious safety record. Some of the contributors are very ill-informed and are quoted as being 'The Resident Pilot' at a certain airfield to increase their feeling of self importance. (A certain Dr at Sherburn springs to mind...) Nope, doesn't do it for me I'm afraid, I prefer down to earth accurate articles based on fact as mentioned above!

Pilot mag? Only if I cant sleep!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

stuartforrest
8th Feb 2006, 20:42
The UK mags are all dross. I rarely read them now as they are full of articles about old planes (which IMO should be featured in historic aviation mags) and crap articles about looking at "castles from the sky". The editors should be ashamed of this rubbish.

The US Mags are much better and are written for pilots who use their planes and dont just fly round in circles on a cloudless day. I susbscribe to two of them.

I also like to read other pilots blogs and my blog is http://www.gotoair.com/gtablog.htm if anyone is interested. I would also like to read other peoples blogs if anyone does them. In fact I will start a thread about this.

Did everyone read the one about the chap who flew to the US in his TB20. Was it 2donkeys who did that. The blog was awesome. I would like to do something that exciting one day.

Fuji Abound
8th Feb 2006, 20:44
US Flying available by postal subs and at some news agents.

A good read and far more detailed content than their UK counter parts.:ok:

stuartforrest
8th Feb 2006, 20:49
I subscribed to two via a website that was called magazines of america or something. They are mega cheap two with a monthly issue costing something like less than a quid posted to the UK!

booke23
8th Feb 2006, 22:10
I have a subscription to Pilot, and sometimes buy Todays pilot......I get to have a flick through flyer every month as a collegue buys it and lets me read it!

I think Flyer is mainly rubbish........it used to be good 5 years or so ago, but now devotes alot of itself to Microlight and kit built flying..... (although this months edition has a fairly good artical about becoming a commercial pilot) As a pilot who is in the process of gaining a professional license, I really have no interest in reading about middle aged guys flying their all composite 490kg aircraft out of cow pat covered fields.

I enjoy reviews, and I particularly like the buyers guides pilot publish. For the same reason I like Todays Pilot........in particular the variety of types they test.......a recent one was a dash 8!

So it's horses for courses really.

dublinpilot
8th Feb 2006, 22:34
Why would you want to?

Jucky,

It's just a side of the flying world that I'd like to know more about.

Flying from a large airport, I'm working with ATC a lot, so it would be great to see some articles that educated me more about the issues they face.

The more I understand things from their prospective, that more I'm likely to get what I want ;)

dp