View Full Version : Airbus RNAV Approaches

Airbus FlightSimmer
6th Feb 2006, 08:28
Hi to all,
I'm new in this forum and I'm not sure if I'm right here with my questions. If not, please apologize.
I've a few questions on RNAV Approaches with the Airbus (especially A320).
Please tell me if this is right or not:
When you have punched in your flight plan into the MCDU you can select the approach airport. There you will find the different runways and for every runway the available approach types. For example for EDDF Frankfurt Germany you can choose for example ILS25R. If at this airport there will be a published RNAV-Approach on that runway you will find also an entry RNAV25R or RNP25R or something like that. Is that right?
Thank you very much for any help.
Robert

BOAC
6th Feb 2006, 08:49
Certainly so for 737, AFS, but I'll pop you over to 'Questions' where I think you'll get more views.

Flap 5
6th Feb 2006, 09:19
That is correct. In fact it will give you VOR25R or NDB25R as well as ILS25R if those approaches exist in the database.

Airbus FlightSimmer
6th Feb 2006, 09:42
Thank you BOAC and Flap 5.
Does that mean it won't give an explizit RNAV entry? As I understand VOR and NDB approaches as well as RNAV are NPAs (Non Precision Approaches). But an RNAV-Approach doesn't need VOR or NDBs.
And what do you do in Approach Phase?
After choosing an RNAV-Approach and after selection of Approach-Phase you only push the "APPR"-Button but you don't select "ILS" or "LS"? Will the Airbus then fly the programmed RNAV-Approach with the appropriate Flight Path Angle? At MDA you have to take over and fly the rest manually or can you fly an Auto-Landing?
Thank you very much for your answers.
Robert

longarm
6th Feb 2006, 18:23
At MDA the autopilot will disconnect automatically and the landing must then be carried out manually.