PDA

View Full Version : A320 manual landing technique

flyby911
6th Feb 2006, 05:22
hello fellows..Airbussers : i need help with that...

in the 737-400 that i used to fly...a precise digital heading display is displayed in the HSI of the panel which helps alot for manual landing and tracking the localizer needle..

ex: flying an ILS heading of 341 degrees...it means to me when a number indicates that i'm flying a 343 degrees or 340 degrees...that allows me to predict if the localizer needle will move left or right so i correct it by 2 degrees {assume no wind} if i'm flying 343 for example

but in the A320 panel ..in the ND the HSI indicates that i'm flying a heading between 340 and 350 which doesn't help me...

what technique do you fellow pilots use for lateral navigation on final approach for an A320??

thanks in advance

FlightDetent
6th Feb 2006, 06:21
I'm very fresh on the type, but Airbus don't seem to display any numbers in general in their cockpit design (thinking of speed tape). Use the dagger (magenta) on the compass strip below attitude indicator on the PFD and fly the green "renault" track indicator. It is one level easier. I must admit I never get friends with track indicator on the 737 for ILS, but Airbus design makes it very simple. If I want to get old school I select ILS on ND and fly it without numbers as you say.

FD
(the un-real)

Hand Solo
6th Feb 2006, 10:54
Do what flyby911 says. The track and inbound QDM indicators give you a very simple indication of which way you need to turn to maintain track.

FlightDetent
7th Feb 2006, 09:11
And if flying with the "bird" it is even easier. If you select inbound course on FCU you would get a blue heading index directly into the attitude indicator on the horizont line. Intercept LOC, keep the fin of the "bird" aligned below the index and ...volia! Too easy for pilots. ;)

FD
(the un-real)

flyby911
8th Feb 2006, 05:23
thanks fellow pilots for reply...

Flight detent : yes,no display of any numbers in the A320 panel neither in the airspeed strip nor in any heading indicator..like we need to always assume in the cockpit :)..mantaining speeds for me was also a problem in the A320 for that..

i seem to be loosing you here..what do you mean by the bird?? :O
please explain more the mechanism of this blue indicator {i think it's green!} {and i think you'r talking about glide slope descent} coz horizontal lines indicate vertical situations..

anyway i'm all ears :)

FlightDetent
8th Feb 2006, 06:54
bird = flight path vector, sorry

When in manual flight with FPV and no FPD the heading FCU window opens an allows you to select a blue heading index not only on ND and compass strip in PFD (usual) but also a little vertical line appears on the horizont line in the attitude indicator. Set this to runway heading / inbound course and keep the FPV aligned just like for circuit training. The index is called "track bug" FCOM 4.05.70 p30 or "second selected headnig / track index" FCOM 1.31.40 p16 "2".

FD
(the un-real)