PDA

View Full Version : RN Special Flying Award

Wannabe Flyboy
5th Feb 2006, 15:17
I got a letter through the post yesterday telling me I've earnt a place on this year's Royal Navy Special Flying Award (gliding). I'm obviously over the moon because I've never flown a glider before and all I have are a few hours in Cessnas. The letter was quite vauge though and my knowledge of the course isn't very thorough. I know I'll be sent official details of what will happen in due course and I will quiz my AFCO when I meet him again later this month, but until then I wondered if any of you kind PPRuNers would be able to fill me in.

From the literature I have at the moment I know the course lasts a week and takes place at a Naval Air Station gliding club (I assume this means either Culdrose or Yeovilton?) But how many flying hours do we get; I assume it'll be one or two a day? Would that be enough to go solo if I were good enough? What will we be sent to do in our spare time? Will there be any visits off base? I've been to Culdrose a couple of times before and as friendly as they are there, I don't fancy sitting through a talk from the met guys *again* :uhoh:. Any other advice would, of course, be much appreciated. I'm now going to swot up on exactly how gliders work. :ok:

Si Clik
5th Feb 2006, 15:51
WF,

You have been successful in gaining a whole weeks worth of gliding either at Culdrose, Yeovilton or Lee-on-Solent. During that time as well as living in the Wardroom you will get the chance to visit either some ships or a squadron and get a full introduction into a Career with the Fleet Air Arm. You won't need to personally spend any cash at all and will from my liaison in this area really have a great time.

Enjoy! Further deatils will be with you shortly.

Si

flyingrupert
6th Feb 2006, 17:15
WF
In answer to your question the aim is get you solo by the end of the course. This is obviously restricted by ability and weather considerations. I think, but don't quote me that you can choose where you want to do the course.
Either way it is a good course and a good introduction to flying and military life. Having done the course and also been involved behind the scenes, if you have any further questions e-mail me.
FR