PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Injected Fuel Priming??

Mamakim
5th Feb 2006, 07:34
When I prime the fuel lines of the fuel injected Cessna 182, does the fuel get pumped all the way to the intake port of the cylinders or only to the fuel discharge nozzles?

Also, when people flood an engine they say to leave it for a few minutes. What is happening to the fuel in these "few minutes"......is it evaporating or something else.

Thanks for your replies.

MK

A and C
5th Feb 2006, 08:40
If you are starting from cold with the mixture lever in the rich position the fuel is going into the inlet valve port upstream of the inlet valve.

If you take to long between priming and starting the engine all the fuel will run to the bottom of the induction pipework and drain onto the floor.

S-Works
5th Feb 2006, 08:49
On my injected Hawk XP we prime the lines with the electric fuel pump and the cylinders with the standard hand primer. Thats on a continental IO360KB.

Mamakim
5th Feb 2006, 10:49
A & C - thanks a lot - thats what I thought.......just needed someone to confirm.

For a moment there I thought the fuel was only getting directed into the fuel distrubution nozzles, but it makes more sense that fuel be pumped right up to the point where combustion occurs which is the intake port.

MK

A and C
5th Feb 2006, 12:01
Just to make it clear the fuel is injected into the inlet port OUTSIDE of the combustion chamber. this is why it is important to start the engine quickly after priming otherwise if the engine misfires you might have an intake fire.

This is one of the things pilots have to learn is that delay in starting an engine (injected or not) after priming is a fire about to happen and it all has to do with the way a lot of you have been shown to use checklists.

If during engine start you use a checklist as a "do list" then the chances are that the delay between priming and starting will sooner or later result in a fire.

An engine start should run something like this:- reveiw what you are going to do with the checklist then put it down and then don't touch it untill you get to step 8.

Put key in Mag switch
check the area around the aircraft and shout clear prop!
Prime the engine
Mixture rich
look out & check the area around the aircraft
start the engine
check for oil px and starter warning light out
Pick up the checklist and check all that you have done