PDA

View Full Version : First time shopping for a plane...

Ultranomad
3rd Feb 2006, 05:11
Having finally made a solid decision to get an aircraft of my own, I went browsing the classifieds. Now, after a few days, I've got an impression I am looking in the wrong places. In 2003-2005, people I know bought four oldish ('60s), not very pretty, but airworthy planes with several hundred hours left on the engines: two C150s, a C172 and a PA28-140. I have personally tried two of these. What is surprising me now is the price thing. Those planes went for less than 18K euros apiece. The prices I see in the classifieds are at least 50% higher!!! What gives? Should I look elsewhere? Should I try to bargain down THAT much? Or has the market gone way up? BTW, if anyone has or knows about a cheap JAA-airworthy plane which could be used for instruction, drop a line my way ;)

JUST-local
8th Feb 2006, 23:49
Like most things you get what you pay for if your lucky! The prices of the aircraft you mentioned have gone up over 30% during the time frame you are talking about (according to GA Buyer! last year).
Just be careful some of these things are over 40 years old and could be :mad: !
Talk to as many aircraft owners as you can and if you do take the plunge it is critical you have an excellent engineer who knows your aircraft type inside and out to keep expensive surprises to a minimum :ok:
I went all over the place a couple of years ago and was dissapointed with the quality of the aircraft available for the price, the right aircraft are out there they just take some finding, good luck.....:confused: