PDA

View Full Version : Preparation for Round 2!!

babydeb
2nd Feb 2006, 20:14
Hihi everyone!

Hope you can help. I will be having my interview in a fortnights time, and have 2 questions that I hope someone kind hearted enough will be able to answer..

1. Is 'Air Traffic Control' by Graham Duke by far the best, most suitable book and most easy to digest to read?

2. I have yet not booked a site to visit, and am starting to panic like crazy!!! I live in Manchester and was wondering how do I get in touch with them? (Manchester, London City, London Heathrow are all accessible by me.)

Before anyone shouts at me, I have read all the threads but could not find a suitable response.

Hope someone can help.

Bee :sad:

aaaabbbbcccc1111
2nd Feb 2006, 21:01
Graham Dukes book, A Laymens Guide to ATC, worked for me. I used other material (internet, pprune, visits). I dont know if it is the best book around, but would give you some understanding.
I found the visit to the units the most beneficial, as I could ask ATC scenario type questions to the operational ATCO's, information you cant read in any book.

I basically got my visits , by phoning up the security desk at the units, and after a few diverted calls, being very polite and explaining my circumstances managed to get a visit. You should try your hardest to get a few visits in, even very small non NATS units. It was the first question they asked me at my interview.

radar707
2nd Feb 2006, 21:07
Ring HR ask for the relevant numbers and contacts, explain you're a pre-interview visit and you should get sorted out quickly

PPRuNe Radar
2nd Feb 2006, 21:11
Manchester would be a good bet as they have both Area and Airport control functions.

Friendly bunch too :ok:

Regular Cappuccino
2nd Feb 2006, 22:03
Try Nottingham East Midlands as well if it's not too far for you. Non-NATS but has a modern ATC facility and gets a lot of visits from prospective NATS employees.
PM me for contact details if you decide to go.
Good Luck with the interview
RC

the hunted one
3rd Feb 2006, 08:04
Manchester would be a good bet as they have both Area and Airport control functions.
Friendly bunch too :ok:

Well, 95% of them anyway! :p

YourFriendlyATCO!
3rd Feb 2006, 11:19
Graham Dukes' book worked for me. And also, as other people have said, visits are invaluable. I guess it kind of makes the books make sense, if you get what i mean?!!?
I don't know how true this is, but i don't think they are allowed to ask too many technical questions these days. It seems to have moved more towards group exercises.
If you decide you'd like to go further a field and try Swanwick for a visit, feel free to PM me and i'l gve you a number. Manchester are a great bunch though.

Very best of luck with the interviews.

babydeb
3rd Feb 2006, 17:20
Wow!! Thanks for all the help everyone! Its my first time on here and I already feel everyone giving each other a helping hand!!

I got a date set for Manchester..should I be nervous? I feel as though they will be expecting something from me. Am I wrong?

I will take all your advice, buy the book, think of scenario questions to ask, and do my very best! I keep you posted!

Thanks again everyone

Bee x

YourFriendlyATCO!
4th Feb 2006, 23:05
No, you shouldn't be nervous. They are a great friendly bunch up there. Ask as many questions as you like, about absolutely anything. Suck up as much information as you can. After all, we need and want as many people to get through as is possible. Anything we can do to help, we will do. It wasn't that long ago that i was in your situation!!

The most important thing though, is to enjoy it!! There's a great buzz to the job. Hope you have a good day

babydeb
5th Feb 2006, 16:55
Thanks! Im sure i'll have a great day!

By the way, anyone have the number to contact for either London City or West Drayton, before I hassle HR?

Bee x :eek:

YourFriendlyATCO!
6th Feb 2006, 02:18
West Drayton security is 01895445566 last time i was based there.

babydeb
6th Feb 2006, 09:41
Thank you FriendlyATCO!!

Bee :eek:

eyeinthesky
6th Feb 2006, 17:27
I can only echo the advice about sucking up as much information as possible on your unit visit.

One caveat, however: When you get to your interview, don't be tempted to throw in a mention of something unless you are prepared to be asked about it. Most interviewers will just keep on throwing you a longer spade as you keep digging. This is not an attempt to trip you up, just to see how deep your knowledge goes.

So I wouldn't mention the NOTA, iFACTS, SES, FBA, Mode S or whatever unless you know more than the headline.

Good luck!