PDA

View Full Version : Thread navigation

shaky
2nd Feb 2006, 19:22
The little tick-mark at the left of a thread title is supposed to take you to the first unread message. This used to work perfectly on my system ( XP sp2 + firefox) prior to the latest site upgrade. Unfortunately, it now takes me to the last post in the thread which, in an active thread, results in much scrolling in order to locate the correct part of the thread.

In the grand scheme of things this is merely a minor irritant but if anyone knows how to restore the correct functionality i would be most obliged.

I have tried deleting all the Pprune cookies but it had no effect.

BOAC
2nd Feb 2006, 20:08
shaky - I think this change is something at the host software end and we can look at it later (may need to remind me!!). I don't think there is anything you can do on your machine.

PPRuNe Towers
2nd Feb 2006, 20:25
You control everything bar modifying your username.

It's all in user cp

Rob

shaky
3rd Feb 2006, 16:37
Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

PpruneTowers:
I have re-visited my User CP but I can see nothing that might cure my problem. Could you give me a hint?

Prune Luver:
Before the site upgrade the utility did exactly as it said on the tin. In other words the thread opened at the first new post since the last time you logged in - very useful and eliminated a lot of fiddling about on active multi-paged threads. Since the upgrade this is no longer the case and it simply directs you to the last post in the thread which is in fact the function of the tick-mark to the right hand side of the thread title.

BOAC:
I think your explanation is correct. It seems to be a site related thing because another location which I visit has the same software and it works as intended. As I said, it is a small niggle in the grand scheme of things but if it isn't fixed I will gladly accept your offer and give you a reminder in a couple of weeks.

Regards to all.

Globaliser
4th Feb 2006, 08:14
The little tick-mark at the left of a thread title is supposed to take you to the first unread message. This used to work perfectly on my system ( XP sp2 + firefox) prior to the latest site upgrade. Unfortunately, it now takes me to the last post in the thread which, in an active thread, results in much scrolling in order to locate the correct part of the thread.Two suggestions:-Have you given the server enough time to deliver the entire page? I find that vBulletin 3 can take quite a long time to deliver everything, and the page only positions to the correct point when everything has come down from the server. So if you wait long enough, you may find that the page will then reposition itself to the first unread post. Are you still logged in when the thread page itself is delivered? I have a persistent problem with getting logged out during a PPRuNe session, and I'm findin that one of the features of the "first unread message" function seems to be that if you're logged out when the thread is delivered, the page will position to the last post in the thread.Hope this helps.

BOAC
4th Feb 2006, 13:39
Glob - it seems 'none of the above'. I am in discussion with PPTowers about it and I am convinced it is just the ignition timing or mixture control that needs tweaking on the PP Engine. Just need a few days.:ok:

shaky
4th Feb 2006, 16:21
Just need a few days.:ok:
I'm counting..........

BOAC
4th Feb 2006, 16:22
Blast....................!:)

PPRuNe Towers
8th Feb 2006, 21:58
Never used the facility you describe so don't know whether it was original, kludge, hack or plug in.

Perhaps a more useful avenue is to speak to a site using it and find out what it is, how it works and where they found it.

Regards
Rob

BOAC
8th Feb 2006, 22:24
Don't know if there is a 'clue' here, PPT? From the VB user manual:

"Thread/Forum Read Marking Type
This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read. The options are:

1) Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.
2) Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum. This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.
3) Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive."

My italics

BOAC
9th Feb 2006, 10:35
shaky - mine seems to be working 'like old' now - how's your's?

Cash or cheques accepted:)

PPRuNe Towers
9th Feb 2006, 14:34
Forum was set at the default BOAC - I checked before my original reply.

Wonder if turning security setting down a notch or too might help. Long history of our page items being misidentified by such systems.

Rob

Danny
9th Feb 2006, 15:22
Inactivity/Cookie based is the setting for PPRuNe as it is the least server intensive mode.

Just for information and to avoid any embarrasement if you make promises you can't keep, these cosmetic issues are very low priority at the moment and will be dealt with and rectified, if at all possible, as and when time permits.

BOAC
9th Feb 2006, 15:56
Me embarrassed..........?:) As for keeping promises----

Edited to say it does NOT appear to be working, shaky, so I'd better leave the country

Globaliser
9th Feb 2006, 16:46
Edited to say it does NOT appear to be working, shaky, so I'd better leave the countryFWIW, it's working for me - so long as I'm still logged in.