PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Toronto Island Airline to take off

yyzdub
2nd Feb 2006, 15:46
Bombardier Signs Firm Order With Regco For Ten Q400 Airliners Valued At $250 Million US

Toronto, February 01, 2006

Potential value of $500 million US if all options exercised

Bombardier Aerospace announced today that REGCO Holdings Inc. of Toronto has signed a contract to acquire ten 70-seat Bombardier Q400 high-speed turboprop airliners and take options on an additional ten aircraft.

The list price value for the ten aircraft on firm order is approximately $250 million US. The contract has a potential list price value of approximately $500 million US if all ten options are exercised.

REGCO will publicly announce its plans for the aircraft on February 2, 2006. A media advisory will be issued later today to provide details relating to REGCO’s announcement.

“The Bombardier Q400 has won praise from airlines for its economics, speed and passenger comfort,” said Robert Deluce, President and Chief Executive Officer, REGCO. “It fits our operational plans exceedingly well.”

“We are immensely proud that this new Toronto airline has chosen this Toronto-built, world-leading aircraft, the Bombardier Q400,” said Steven Ridolfi, President, Bombardier Regional Aircraft. “This extraordinary regional aircraft has led a resurgence in turboprop travel around the world. It has everything –- jet-like speed, quiet comfort, environmental friendliness, low fuel burn, and the lowest operating costs of any regional aircraft. There is no other turboprop that can compete with the Q400 aircraft in this arena.”

The 360-knot (667 km/h) cruise speed and capacity of the Q400 provides airlines with greater revenue-generating opportunities in both traditional and low cost markets and extends an airline’s reach well beyond traditional turboprop markets. The superior operating economics of the Q400 enable it to compete effectively against established low cost carriers.
The order announced today increases Q400 firm orders to 175 aircraft. As of December 31, 2005, 106 had been delivered to operators in North America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East

VeRmiLLioN
2nd Feb 2006, 16:05
Eat that Mayor Miller! :p

yyzdub
2nd Feb 2006, 16:11
I'm not normally spiteful but I have to agree with you 100% - Miller just gets under my skin - typical yuppie type!:yuk:

rotornut
2nd Feb 2006, 17:16
Can airport plan fly this time?
Deluce planning regional airline run from island Miller still firmly opposes expanded
use of airport
Feb. 2, 2006. 01:00 AM

Toronto Star
KERRY GILLESPIE AND PAUL MOLONEY
STAFF REPORTERS

Toronto is once again set to have a busy waterfront airport with turboprop service to Canadian and American cities.

Today, Robert Deluce, chief executive of Regional Airline Holdings Inc., will announce details of his plan to buy up to $500 million worth of planes from Toronto's Bombardier plant to run a new regional airline out of the island airport.

"We are confident that the Q400 is the perfect plane to allow our airline to bring substantial economic benefits to the city and contribute to a revitalized Toronto City Centre Airport," Deluce said in a statement.

But Deluce may have to fight city hall every step of the way — just like he did the last time, when he failed to get a bridge to the island airport to make it easier to run an airline.

"I ran on a commitment to ensure that the island airport use was not expanded," Mayor David Miller said yesterday, referring to his campaign promise to kill plans for a bridge to the island airport.

"That's an industrial use and you want waterfront revitalization to succeed, and expanded use doesn't fit," he said.

But the city has limited control over what happens at the airport, which is managed by the Toronto Port Authority, a federal agency.

Miller said he wants Prime Minister-designate Stephen Harper to turn the port authority over to the city.

NDP Leader Jack Layton has also called Harper asking for the same thing, said Olivia Chow, a former Toronto councillor and now an NDP MP.

That's something the city wanted but never got under the federal Liberals.

But it's something that may appeal to Harper, who believes in decentralizing government and "keeping local decisions local," Chow said.

Not everyone at city hall opposes a revitalized island airport, especially since the planes will be built at the Downsview Bombardier plant.

"This announcement means a lot of jobs for Toronto, high-paying — not hamburger-flipping — jobs. We support our aerospace sector very much," said Gloria Lindsay Luby chair of economic development (Ward 4, Etobicoke Centre).

"It's going to be fantastic ... It's an underutilized airport. They're going to make use of an existing asset. There's no reason to think that this isn't a positive step forward for the city of Toronto," said Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong (Ward 34, Don Valley East).

"I suspect David Miller might use it as fodder for the next election campaign, but that's his decision," Minnan-Wong said.

son to think that this isn't a positive step forward for the city of Toronto," said Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong (Ward 34, Don Valley East).

"I suspect David Miller might use it as fodder for the next election campaign, but that's his decision," Minnan-Wong said.

UB6IB9
2nd Feb 2006, 17:31
second that one.......miller just rubs me the wrong way.

MarkD
3rd Feb 2006, 03:47
Avcanada discussion here (http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=15155)

Married a Canadian
20th Feb 2006, 20:37
I am trying to work out why expansion at the city centre airport is a bad thing and why the mayor and the councillors and various other so called enlightened people are against it??

Can any of the more established Toronto folk explain??

As far as I can tell it isn't noise related as it is props only (only jet allowed is a medivac right??) and the approaches are over the lake anyway??

What are these so called enlightened peoples alternative. "Hey YYZ is a great place to do business..fly into Pearson with its superb ermmm road links and be downtown in emmmmmmm traffic permitting 45 mins ermm ermm ermm"

Or fly to the city centre and be in your office in 10 minutes.

No brainer to me...even as a new native

Oh and those waterfront condos look awful anyway,.\

VeRmiLLioN
21st Feb 2006, 01:24
Oh and those waterfront condos look awful anyway,.\

That's the whole reason.

The condo people want to change something that was there way before condominum was even a word.

Why dont they go buy condos next to Pickering and Claremont. That Airport isn't built yet!

I digress. :{

mellofello
21st Feb 2006, 10:46
It is not so much the condo people living accross from the airport as it is the folks who happen to be living on a small corner of the island who would like nothing more than to see the airport converted to some kind of park. More to the point is there are other interested parties who would rather dispense with the airport and convert the land for further devellopment of condominiums.

Having lived in the area, I can attest to the fact that there is more pollution, be it air quality or noise that comes from vehicle traffic that runs along the freeway than from the airport.

Newforest
21st Feb 2006, 16:45
It is not so much the condo people living accross from the airport as it is the folks who happen to be living on a small corner of the island who would like nothing more than to see the airport converted to some kind of park. More to the point is there are other interested parties who would rather dispense with the airport and convert the land for further devellopment of condominiums.

As a one time visitor to the great city of Toronto and looking down on the situation from the Tower, is it not a fact that those island residents are on borrowed time? I was told that the properties cannot be sold and when they die, the properties revert to the city?

FFP
21st Feb 2006, 18:08
I thought about running a commuter service from St Catharines / Niagara into the city airport . . . .. . . . . . .

But it looks like a hovercraft is going to do it for $10 or so, with a 45 min ride time.

We'll see. I'm sure there are those out there that would pay to fly over the lake and back at the end of the day.

rotornut
21st Feb 2006, 18:58
Newforest,
That's all been changed to a certain extent. The houses can be sold but I understand the properties are all on 99 year leases.