PDA

View Full Version : English as the Lingua Franca of global ATC.

Leo Hairy-Camel
2nd Feb 2006, 12:31
I'm currently researching the early development of aviation apropos current practices and would like to know if anyone could provide me with the definitive reason behind why English is the (generally) accepted lingua franca of ATC around the world. Is it merely that English is more widely spoken by aviation professionals, or is there some mutually agreed upon convention that renders it so? Responses with sourced references would be particularly welcome.
Many thanks,
Leo.

Regular Cappuccino
2nd Feb 2006, 18:56
We got there first?:E

beaver eager
2nd Feb 2006, 23:33
Leo, I googled "ICAO" and found the Chicago Convention of 1948. It contains the following bit...

PART IV. FINAL. PROVISIONS

Paris and
Habana
Conventions

CHAPTER XVII
OTHER AERONAUTICAL AGREEMENTS AND ARRANGEMENTS
Article 80
Each contracting State undertakes, immediately
upon the coming into force of this Convention, to give
notice of denunciation of the Convention relating to
the Regulation of Aerial Navigation signed at Paris on
October 13, 1919 or the Convention on Commercial Avia-
tion signed at Habana on February 20, 1928, if it is
a party to either. As between contracting States, this
Convention supersedes the Conventions of Paris and
Habana previously referred to.

I have to go to bed now or she'll get the hump as she has to get up early but it might just be worth doing a search for the Regulation of Aerial Navigation 1919 or the Convention on Commercial Aviation 1928. I bet it's in one of those.

Anecdotally, I have been led to believe that English was adopted over French by just one vote. Seems likely with all the French-based words in common usage (M'aidez, etc.).

Hope it helps.

Link to ICAO page with Chicago Convention (http://www.icao.int/cgi/goto_m.pl?/icaonet/dcs/7300.html)

Leo Hairy-Camel
3rd Feb 2006, 09:18
Thanks very much indeed, Beaver. This helps enormously. I was particularly interested to learn of your anecdotal observation. Was it really as close as that? Are we all today operating within one vote of speaking French? :eek:
Thanks again.
Regards,
Leo.