PDA

View Full Version : Flying at Madeira

LN-TAG
1st Feb 2006, 15:01
Afternoon,

Does anyone know if it is possible to rent a plane somewhere at Madeira? Preferably a C172, C177, PA28 or TB10

Thomas
"The new guy"

AerBabe
1st Feb 2006, 17:53
Having just decided with Mr AB that we're off to Madeira for my birthday in March, I was going to post the same question here!

A and C
2nd Feb 2006, 08:57
I have seen a few localy based light aircraft but don't know if they are for rent, the only near destination is Porto Santo about twenty miles away.
I suspect that you would not want to go to the Canary's that are in the order of 300 miles away.

The airfield at Funchal (LPMA) has been engineerd out of a steep hillside with the runway sitcking out over the sea on a sort of bridge. The wind conditions are a critical factor so much so that if the wind is over about 15kt in some directions landing is prohibited.

For airline opps the airfield is classed as CAT C and it requires the captain to have Funchal airfield training in a simulator, 500 hours in command on type and a check flight into the airfield before landing at Funchal as PIC. First Officers are prohibited to land the aircraft at this airfield.

Add to all this the cloud that ofted covers the 5000ft peak about six miles from the field and you have a challenging enviorment to fly in.

AIRWAY
2nd Feb 2006, 09:57
1 TB10 and 1 PA28 is available from Madeira's Aeroclub, i can try and find their contact details shall you require them, i am sure i have them somewhere at home.

Like A and C stated it is a challenging enviroment to fly, but with gorgeous scenary all round.

Lovely place.

Keef
2nd Feb 2006, 12:12
It's a beautiful place to visit - we love it. BUT... the airfield is "challenging" and if you had an engine failure in a single, there's nowhere to go other than the sea or the airfield.

Personally, I wouldn't fly myself there. Cowardice Prolongs Active Life, as Rufus often says.