PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada Flight Crew: Question

Nalgene
31st Jan 2006, 22:04
If hired today how long would it take to have a schedule that would be condusive to a decent commute from CYYC?

meaw
1st Feb 2006, 13:03
NALGENE,

depends what aircraft and base.If you get the EMJ YYZ as most are getting,you will be doing training and line indocfor about 3.5 months....not very commutable.Since there are about 20 or so new hires a month,most going to that position,you should get a block fairly quickly,maybe 3-4 months after you get on line.To get a good commuting block really depends on what you consider good.But if things keep going the way they are I would guesstimate that that you should be able to do it sometimes towards the end of the first year.
If you get an RP 767 position you will probably do about 3 pairings a month,most with late evening departures and AM returns.Also RP's deadhead out of YYZ and layover in YYC a lot to cover the YYC-FRA and YYC-LHR flights.I know a YYZ 767 RP that lives in YYC and he was telling me recently that he hasn't had to go to YYZ very often as he is able to bid the pairings that start and end in YYC.......mind you he has 4 years seniority and I dont know how much competition you will have for these.
Although the 767 seems like what you should aim for (for commuting purposes) beware that since they are not hiring a lot for that position,you might stay on reserve for longer than on the EMJ because less new-hires will come in behind you.
Finally those YYC-Europe flights often alternate to the A330 so they are not available year round.

Nalgene
1st Feb 2006, 16:52
Thankyou meaw...your comments are much appreciated.