PDA

View Full Version : dumb newbie question

cessnasey
31st Jan 2006, 15:51
hi,

maybe a dumb question but "you dont ask you never learn right"!

what does it mean if an aircraft is maintained to "public transport catogery"?

id ask my instructor but am intrested to know, cant wait till next weeks lesson.:)

thanks.

FlyingForFun
31st Jan 2006, 17:55
No such thing as a dumb question.

If you want to use an aircraft for certain types of operations, such as carrying fare-paying passengers, you need to maintain it to higher standards than you would do if it was your private aircraft you only used for flying yourself and your family and friends around at weekends.

Your best bet for more information, rather than your instructor (who might know a little more detail than what I've given you, but not much) would be to speak to an engineer at your flying club.

FFF
----------------

S-Works
31st Jan 2006, 18:34
as far as I was aware it is maintained to the same standards there are just allowances for running on condition rather than strict overhaul times.

foxmoth
31st Jan 2006, 19:55
as far as I was aware it is maintained to the same standards there are just allowances for running on condition rather than strict overhaul times.
Also on PT there are maintenance procedures that have to be done by an approved facility rather than by owner/pilot - mainly the 50 hr check. There used to be more difference (on PT a 50 hr check used to have to be done every 62 days even if the aircraft had not flown), but this has been reduced.

Whopity
2nd Feb 2006, 07:31
It is based on the fact that a person hiring an aeroplane or purchasing a ticket to fly in an aeroplane has an expectation that it is maintained to a laid down safety standard by qualified persons. A Certificate of Maintenance Review (CMR) is issued by the engineers to show that it is maintained to the required standard.

In order to reduce costs, private owners may maintain their own aircraft and accept any increased risk in so doing. They cannot rent the aircraft or carry fare paying passengers. There is no CMR.