PDA

View Full Version : Hours logged as an FI

Fancy Navigator
30th Jan 2006, 22:36
Hi,
Just a couple of questions for all instructors out there....(sorry if it has been done before)
How many hours a year (remaining realistic) can you expect to log instructing part time (weekends, a few random days, etc...)...? and full time?
Still wondering if it is worth going down the road of an FI rating....
Thanks.
FNav :confused: :rolleyes: :cool:

FlyingForFun
31st Jan 2006, 08:26
I reckon on an average of around 2 hours a day in the winter, 3 a day in the summer. This is based on a full day being around 4 hours' flying, but taking into account that the UK weather very often doesn't allow for a full day's flying. My figures are also deliberately on the low side, because I'd always rather have a bit more money coming in at the end of the month than what I planned for rather than a bit less. (The lower figure for winter is partly because the weather is worse, partly because the days are shorter, and partly because we are not quite so fully booked - but it is also partly offset by the fact that I teach night-flying in winter, and often work later into the evenings than I do in the summer.)

It will obviously vary quite a bit from school to school, though, depending on the school's opening hours, and how full the booking sheets are.

FFF
---------------

Fancy Navigator
31st Jan 2006, 16:47
Thank you FFF ;)
Always helpful!!!:ok:

FNav

18greens
31st Jan 2006, 19:55
You also fly lots more if you can teach IMC.

My rule of thumb seems to be 100 hours per year for every day of the week you fly. Full timers seem to get in 500-600 ish per year. This seems to match FFFs figures. Don't bank on working 7 days a week. You need a rest.

Don't do it for the money but its great fun and your flying will improve lots and lots.

Mintflavour
1st Feb 2006, 15:35
Above is a very good guide line.

I instruct for one day at weekend.
During the summer with no cancellations I have almost touched 7 hours flying. But during the winter and especially around christmas I have got through a hole month without a single hour but generally it will be about 1-2 hours per day. As this is not my main souce of income I dont care about the lack of hours during the winter as I enjoy the break, knowing (hopefully) it will pick up in the spring.

All the best

mint

capt. skidmark
9th Feb 2006, 13:05
as a full time VFR instructor at an flying academy with integrated students only, i've logged around 4 to 6 hours a day in the summer and 2 to 5 hours a day in the winter. not only depending on weather but also on sunrise/sunset times, number of students, instructor availability, aircraft availability and planning. my duty times (working hours) are from 8 to sometimes 12 hours a day. sometimes i get the option to work on saturday, but to be honest i am totally wrecked after 5 days in a row.

is the experience worth the money, effort and time to do the instructor course? in my opinion: HELL YES!

i will start for an airline as a fo b737ng within one month from now, i don't even need to pay the type AND i will instruct in my days off for fun!

sm