PDA

View Full Version : LHR - easterly operations

myrtleman
29th Jan 2006, 16:55
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the longest continuous period of time recently during which Heathrow has used easterly operations i.e. with landings and take-offs on 09L / R?

Also, probably a stupid question, but is it ONLY the wind direction (and speed) that determines whether westerly or easterly operations are in force?

Thanks,

MM

Gonzo
29th Jan 2006, 21:27
Our manual says that we stay on westerly ops until we get a tailwind of 5 kts due to westerlies being preferred for noise reasons. This is conditional on it being a dry runway and a minimum crosswind component of 12kts.

Other factors we take into account:
-Work in progress, if it affects any runway exits, departure holding points.
-Lighting faults; at night, if the taxiway and runway lighting system has a fault on or near a runway.
-Navaids
-Traffic and forecast wind (ie. if it's 0545 - 15 minutes before the inbound stampede begins - and it's 180/5kts with westerlies, and at 0700 it's forecast to go to 090/10kts, you'd swap ends then because it will cause a whole lot of grief and delays at 0700!)

As for your first question, I have no idea, but anecdotally I reckon a week or so.

Airline Tycoon
29th Jan 2006, 21:44
Around May/June '99 I can remember being on easterly operations for about 4-5 weeks.

Golf Charlie Charlie
29th Jan 2006, 22:37
In the great hot summer of 1976 we were on easterlies for several weeks at a stretch (July and August).

SQUAWKIDENT
1st Feb 2006, 11:41
Our manual says that we stay on westerly ops until we get a tailwind of 5 kts due to westerlies being preferred for noise reasons.
Surely some mistake? Why are westerly approaches preferred when they take aircraft over the much more densely populated London suburbs of Fulham, Putney, Barnes, Richmond, Hounslow etc?! Surely easterly approaches would be better for "noise reasons"?

Adam

GT3
1st Feb 2006, 11:45
Well the Queen's house for one...

On westerlies we alternate each day to spread the noise out. Whereas the Cranford Agreement prevents 09L deps unless 09R is unavailable for departure.

In response to the original question if it is only wind that makes us change, apathy can also prevent a change in ends...................... eh gonzo? ;)

SQUAWKIDENT
1st Feb 2006, 11:50
Well the Queen's house for one...
Shocking. Roll-on the Republic of Great Britain. At least I'll get some sleep then..
:*

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Feb 2006, 11:56
Many moons back I was told that there are people with a lot of clout living in the "expensive" areas out around Henley which is why the easterlies night-time descent restrictions on Sunday morning apply for an hour longer than on westerlies (if they still do, of course!)

Gonzo
1st Feb 2006, 12:42
Scurrilous accusation, GT3. Metman said it would stay Easterly. Besides which, I handed it over at 0300, and it was still an easterly wind then!:E

GT3
1st Feb 2006, 13:59
Not directed at yourself.....others from other "teams"

AlanM
1st Feb 2006, 14:19
Back to westerlies as of 1315 today.....:sad:

Gonzo
1st Feb 2006, 15:17
Sorry GT3, I get so used to abuse directed my way on here!

others from other "teams"

You've only been with us for one cycle, and you've learnt this already!!!

GT3
1st Feb 2006, 17:22
Not learnt just had it confirmed!

Someone_Else
2nd Feb 2006, 13:53
Back to westerlies as of 1315 today.....:sad:

Now back to Easterlies at about the same time today!!! :D

cornwallis
3rd Feb 2006, 22:41
Gatwick used to pair (bothlaunching/recovering in same direction)with LHR is this still the case? You can often get lhr on some volmets but not lgw, the info is necessary to load the fmgc

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Feb 2006, 07:34
Cornwallis.... Sorry, don't understand your banter! Pairing? Launching/recovering in same direction?? Both Gatwick and Heathrow wx is available on volmet. Explain what you mean more precisely and I'll gladly try to help.

ATCO Two
4th Feb 2006, 08:29
Cornwallis, the answer to your query is that Northolt adopt the same runway direction as Heathrow, but Gatwick make their own decision as to runway in use and to my knowledge always have.

cornwallis
4th Feb 2006, 09:11
Sorry,i was referring to some of the foreign volmets that dont always put lgw on.I thought that lhr/lgw would be paired so that traffic all flows together.