PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a Skyforce GPS

WorkingHard
28th Jan 2006, 18:44
I would appreciate any help with a problem Skyforce GPS (Skymap II). Essentially it appears the screen has aquired some kind of "corrosion" (like villaform for those who may remember it) and will probably need a new screen. All suggestions welcome.

IO540
28th Jan 2006, 20:51
These appear on Ebay occassionally; I saw a dead one there recently, obviously very chea, and that would have been ideal for you.

I have a Skymap 2 myself, nowadays confined to the emergency bag.

I assume you don't want to get Skyforce to fix it; they certainly can as the RAF bought a few hundred of them just before the product was dropped....

WorkingHard
28th Jan 2006, 22:08
IO540 - Just did not consider Skyforce as it is now an obsolete product. Thanks I will try them Monday. Mine is in very regular use. Still works fine but it will obviously continue to deteriorate. As a matter of interest with what did you replace yours please?

IO540
29th Jan 2006, 08:39
I have a plane with a KLN94/KMD550 in the panel and that is the primary system.

On anything other than a trivial local I also have a backup GPS running, which is either

a) a HP4700 PDA running Oziexplorer or Memory Map, or

b) a ruggedised tablet running one of the above, or Jepp Flitemap with the route loaded into it.

I use the above because I do other things with them on the ground.

If the MOD is anything like they used to be, Skyforce will be committed to a maintenance capability for many years.

If I was buying a handheld GPS today I would buy the Avmap EKP4. I think that's the best of the bunch, with its big screen.

Databases can be a major choice factor for some people. For example I met some bloke the other day who bought a Skymap 3. He was doing some commercial flying as far as Africa and amazingly it was the only GPS on the market which had the database...

J.A.F.O.
29th Jan 2006, 09:36
WH

I've got an old Skymap 1 with the touch screen. The internal batteries have died and I really can't be bothered doing anything further with it. If it's any use for spares then let me know and we'll see what can be done.

WorkingHard
29th Jan 2006, 10:05
Thanks for the replies. i will try Skymap first and let everyone know since there must be many people still using them.