PDA

View Full Version : Sponsored by Dulux

tonkatechie
28th Jan 2006, 17:11
Is it just in the F3 world, or across the whole RAF that aircraft colours seem to be losing a standard tone? A short while ago my unit received an aircraft that was more like the GR4's grey, complete with dark roundels and mech mode markings. Now we've just got a jet that looks like it's got a coat of paint courtesy of the same firm that paints Flankers (more blue than the 'standard' air defence grey). Then, to top of the colour chart of F3 colours, when one is made a gate guardian, it gets an ultra glossy coat that makes it look like an airfix kit.
So come on ppruners, what's the meaning of this, change of camoflague tactics, cheaper suppliers or just good old fashioned 'fool the spotters'? :confused:

frodo_monkey
28th Jan 2006, 17:18
As far as I know mate (working at t'other F3 unit south of the border), all the jets are meant to be going the same shade of grey as the GR4s... (North Sea Grey I believe). But I'd hazard a guess that the RAF got a Buy One Get One Free deal at Plane Paints 'R' Us :}

The Rocket
28th Jan 2006, 20:29
Probably so all the Barley Grey paint is saved up just in case those ultra important, all singing, all dancing, world beating Typhoons need any

They get everything else:*

FEWNCOP
28th Jan 2006, 21:53
Ahhh, does anyone remember 'the brown bomber' at a northern base but not a few years ago - another minor cock up in the mixing dept at the paint shop.

k3k3
28th Jan 2006, 22:08
Turd MR2?

It didn't turn out to be the right shade of hemp at the first attempt.:uhoh:

BEagle
28th Jan 2006, 22:09
'twas not a cock-up by the paint mixers, but by a senior officer who wouldn't be told that he'd demanded the wrong paint code!

"I'm a squadron leader and I'm telling you what I want"

"OK, sir........"

"Perhaps it'll change colour when it dries" came the optimistic cry.

It didn't.

I understand it was sent to Newquay International and languished there until a Very Senior Wheel spotted it one day and asked "What the f*** is that flying $hite?".

After some tuneless whistling and foot shuffling from various embarrassed folk, it was subsequently repainted in hemp like its sisters.

28th Jan 2006, 22:31
AP119A-0601-0B contains the reference for all MoD aircraft paint finishes. Looks like somebody is in breach of regualtions - shaft the blighter. Or, if it's an officer, post and promote.

The Rocket
28th Jan 2006, 22:38
'twas not a cock-up by the paint mixers, but by a senior officer who wouldn't be told that he'd demanded the wrong paint code

"I'm a squadron leader and I'm telling you what I want"

Surprised he didn't get told to wind his neck in by a real senior officer!!

RubiC Cube
29th Jan 2006, 10:09
Are we talking about the "pink" MR1 which, IIRC, happened because of a single digit mistake in the ref no.

k3k3
29th Jan 2006, 12:08
This was the flying turd!

Later, the pink in the low vis roundel was found to flouresce(sp) under certain conditions. :uhoh:

akula
29th Jan 2006, 14:31
I have heard many many stories regarding the fabled brown bomber however I have yet to lay eyes on any photos, if a kind soul could post a piccie it would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ALWAYS assume NEVER check

A and C
29th Jan 2006, 16:57
Wonderful tail but I suspect that it comes from the same stable as the rumour the RAF Northolt is in the wrong place because the officer buying the land could not read a map and aquired the land on the wrong side of the railway !.

Onan the Clumsy
29th Jan 2006, 17:03
...and it was supposed to be called Southolt

DJFish
29th Jan 2006, 17:06
http://www.ukar.co.uk/board/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=14;st=440
Is that the one you're after?

akula
29th Jan 2006, 18:48
Thank you DJ,
It has been a while since I have laughed as much, it really is jobbie brown:ugh: :ugh:

RAF_Techie101
29th Jan 2006, 19:54
Actually, I think the entire RAF fleet is going that way - first the VC-10's, then the Tri-stars, and now the Nimrods are being painted in the Runaway Grey scheme...

Grimweasel
29th Jan 2006, 20:41
Not if you are an ultra sneaky, low level, box droppin, C130 Hercules. Down there in the weeds requires a sexy Olive green all over...

http://dlr.thexhunters.com/info/red_flag04-2_k04.jpg

BEagle
29th Jan 2006, 21:06
Actually, the reason for the job lot of John Major Grey paint is that HM's Navy has so few ships left that another use had to be found for the warehouses full of pusser's grey paint cans gathering dust since the Battle of Jutland....

But during GW1, we had even more bizarre paint schemes:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/PinkPig.jpg

Oink oink!

Tilt and Gain
29th Jan 2006, 21:56
Didn't quite a few GR-4s turn 'F3 grey' three years ago. Either someone's planning on a fracas somewhere maritime grey or there must be another sale on a B&Q.

Blodwyn Pig
29th Jan 2006, 21:57
i remember painting those tristars by hand for GW1. 30 blokes, rollers and buckets. crew went off to a hotel and got bladdered, we phoned them up and said your planes ready mister, but they were too drunk to fly, so another crew had to be bused in.

GeeRam
29th Jan 2006, 22:04
Wonderful tail but I suspect that it comes from the same stable as the rumour the RAF Northolt is in the wrong place because the officer buying the land could not read a map and aquired the land on the wrong side of the railway !.

Being as RAF Northolt predates the RAF itself, that would have been an Army officer presumably:E

Onan the Clumsy
30th Jan 2006, 01:50
i remember painting those tristars by hand for GW1. 30 blokes, rollers and buckets.Did you apply the transfers afterwards too? :p

(Dee-cals for Americans)

A and C
30th Jan 2006, 08:25
I was trying to avoid an inter service bun fight, but as you say it must have been an army officer thats of course IF it is true!

GeeRam
30th Jan 2006, 10:59
I was trying to avoid an inter service bun fight, but as you say it must have been an army officer thats of course IF it is true!

IF it is true, I would think it would be recorded. There was a special ltd edition Crown Copyright offical history of RAF Northolt 90th Anniversary edition printed last year, so I would guess any current serving there may be able to see a copy and confirm?
I suspect that's an updated version of the similar 60th Anniversary one I had back in the 70's and lost many moons ago.....:rolleyes:

I seem to vaguely recall from that, that RAF Northolts origins actually was a pre-service civilian aviation location, so I suspect the story isn't true. And I can't think of any reason why it would have been more beneficial to have been located on t'other side of the railway anyway...?

A and C
30th Jan 2006, 11:36
The actual location of RAF Northolt is on what was at one time called Ickenham marsh, I can remember reading that in the WW1 days drainage was a problem.

The airfield is located much nearer to Ickenham and Hillingdon that it is to Northolt I can only think that the location and the fact that a marsh is not a good place for an airfield has this added fuel to this rumour.

PerArdua
30th Jan 2006, 12:21
Didn't quite a few GR-4s turn 'F3 grey' three years ago. Either someone's planning on a fracas somewhere maritime grey or there must be another sale on a B&Q.

T'was handy when we lost a panel from a GR4 over Dundee, we blamed Leuchars!!!

PA