PDA

View Full Version : Mep

ramshorn
27th Jan 2006, 16:30
Hi

Can anyone please provide me with a contact for somebody who i can do an MEP rating with.
Most flight schools seem to charge about £2000 then once youve included the hire of plane +test fee it comes to around £2500.
I'm looking for an MEP instructor who is authorised and licensed to do the training and the test but not necessarily working for an FTO so as to get it done for a discounted rate.
A Seminole or a duchess will do as i know these are less to hire or even maybe someone who has there own aircraft??
Any ideas or contacts would be appreciated.:ok: ;)

LFS
27th Jan 2006, 17:14
Ramshorn,

The course has to be completed through an FTO as it is an approved course, so you cannot just hire and aircraft and an instructor I am afraid.

Dylan

finals24
27th Jan 2006, 17:22
Have a look at Wycombe Air Centre. One of the cheapest MEP courses around (I believe). Training on Beech Dutchess.

ramshorn
27th Jan 2006, 19:53
thanks guys/girls!
I realise that it needs to be done with an accredited FTO but i hear on the grapevine that there are individuals around who operate as accredited FTO's but do not have the overheads of 'schools' so charge lower rates??
Any other ideas most welcome?!;)

Stan Evil
27th Jan 2006, 19:58
The only approved schools for ME training in the UK are listed here:
http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=1211
Don't let any individual kid you that he is an 'accredited FTO'.

richz3
27th Jan 2006, 20:16
As you live in Bristol, try Aviation South West based at Exeter. They are a small but very professional operation and they use a very well equipped and upto date Duchess for the MEP rating.:ok:

Richz3

Send Clowns
27th Jan 2006, 20:33
You'll probably find that BCFT (http://www.bournemouthcommercialflighttraining.co.uk/), my former employer, has the cheapest course, at a little under £1500. The reason is that they can use their FNPT2 'simulator' for 2.5 hours of it. Very high fidelity to their aircraft fleet, down to insrument fit (hence they are allowed this concession). The aircraft are Beech 76 Duchesses, as is the sim in fact (the remains of a written-off one, shipped from the US and cut up for realism!). They have at least 3 MEP examiners on staff, probably more, at least one of whom is full-time. All instructors have flown commercially, some still do.

Note all landing fees and VAT are included in their price - check that if you compare it with any other school.

ramshorn
27th Jan 2006, 22:23
Thanks alot for your ideas everyone.Much appreciated and hope that you all get your dream jobs real soon!Just think positive i reckon!;) :ok:

Whopity
29th Jan 2006, 14:48
Send Clowns

You cannot do 2.5 hours of the MEP Class Rating course in a FNPTII There is no MEP Course in the UK so approved as there are no FNPTIIs with landing credits.

ramshorn
29th Jan 2006, 16:29
Have looked at the BCFT website.They do have a course on there which has 2.5 hours out of 6 on the FNPT2.
I guess this is for the bits of training that don't involve landing!;)
Have booked a place on the course at aviation south west so thanks all!

hingey
29th Jan 2006, 18:01
If you don't mind going to Exeter, Aviation South West offer an MEP at £1479, all on the Duchess. You have to be star rated though which means you need to set up an account with £1500. Flightpass do it on the Seneca at about £1900 and Airways Flight Training offer one for £2600 also on the Duchess.

h

Send Clowns
31st Jan 2006, 12:17
Whopity

How do you know there is none? I am pretty sure you are wrong, having worked for aver 3 years for the company that does them, and knowing the former CAA examiner who built the sim from scratch. Check out the website on the link I posted. If in doubt give them a call. As far as I am aware it is the only one in the country.

ramshorn

The landing on the sim is fine! I have flown it, and it is as realistic as these things can be, and of course being a sim it can be used for emergencies that cannot be practised safely in the aircraft.

cosworth211
31st Jan 2006, 23:33
More importantly, who will let you fly their twin after gaining the MEP?
Numerous schools will train you for the MEP, but won't let you take their precious twin on your own, or are too booked up with commercials and IR's.
I gained my MEP in Florida and had these problems when returning to the UK. The best solution I found was www.theflyinghut.co.uk, who have a Piper Aztec.
After sufficient training, not only do they let you take the Aztec solo, but will let you take it abroad, overnight, for the day etc etc.
Compared to the duchess, seneca etc the aztec is alot faster (160kt cruise), requires alot more thinking ahead, is alot heavier, bigger, carries more passengers with full fuel (ie 6). I found it is really progressing my flying.

Whopity
1st Feb 2006, 13:57
Send Clowns

Cos the man at the CAA who approves STDs said they have never approved or been asked to approve a FNPT for visual training!

BillieBob
3rd Feb 2006, 14:19
I see the BCFT website is still advertising the FNPT2 option. If the CAA say they haven't approved such a course, isn't this one for the ASA?