PDA

View Full Version : ATCO Training Start Dates

LNMcC
26th Jan 2006, 15:18
Hey,

I'm in the last stage of selection for ATCO training at Bournmouth, I'm hoping they'll accept me! I wanna book a holiday to get away with my girlfriend but dunno when the course start dates are, i don't wanna book something and have to cancel because i've started training.

When are the usual start dates???

Cheers!:ok:

Gonzo
27th Jan 2006, 00:15
Beginning of Jan, end of March, sometime in June, sometime in October, as far as I know.

eastern wiseguy
27th Jan 2006, 00:22
Why not hang on ...see if you get in ..then book something?

AutoP
27th Jan 2006, 07:55
Why not hang on ...see if you get in ..then book something?
Don't be so ridiculous..... that makes far too much sense.;)

LNMcC
27th Jan 2006, 09:20
I'm with AutoP why be sensible???? We're talkin sunshine i don't wanna wait!

tired-flyboy
27th Jan 2006, 09:21
I agree, wait till you know.

However, HR are known to offer places to you then change them if there is a cancellation on the course ahead of the one you have been placed on.

that includes after you have recieved the letter confirming your start date.

Dances with Boffins
27th Jan 2006, 10:54
The next one kicks off on the 27th of March and it isn't full yet. If you have your final interview between now and then, there is a chance you'd be on that one. Do not rely on the old 3 month gap between start dates either. The last one actually did their induction week before Xmas, then started at Hurn in the 1st week in January, so Gonzo's info is a little misleading but it's a while since he came through and he is getting on a bit [as are we all].
Best bet is to be straight with HR. If you want to have a holiday, just tell them you are not available on such and such a date and book yourself a bit of sunshine. The college isn't going anywhere... well not this year anyway.

Gonzo
27th Jan 2006, 12:09
Dances,

Despite appearances I'm not that old!:O I actually knew they had their induction in December, but I was under the impression that that was a special case due to pension law (get them in under the old rules in 2005 sort of thing).

Gonzo
28th Jan 2006, 13:38
I'd be surprised if candidates still awaiting thier interview actualy made it on to the March course. I know a few people going through the process now, and they all had their interviews in mid-December, and are at the medical/security phase, and they've all been told possibly March, more likely June. So for those still to interview, I'd imagine June is the favourite.

Standard Noise
28th Jan 2006, 20:20
Just book the holiday! It'll be more fun than being at Hurn.
Trust me.

Quincy M.E.
15th Mar 2006, 10:49
I'd be surprised if candidates still awaiting thier interview actualy made it on to the March course. I know a few people going through the process now, and they all had their interviews in mid-December, and are at the medical/security phase, and they've all been told possibly March, more likely June. So for those still to interview, I'd imagine June is the favourite.

I had my interview on the 24th Feb, got the results the next week and they wanted me on the 27March course! I got moved (due to not being able to make it that early) and was put on June course. I have screwed myself though because I booked a holiday (unrefundable) last year that takes place in the last two weeks of June and now I am on the September course. That is not all though: it is not clear to me why but HR said that I may not make it into September's and may be in Dec!

I feel completely sick about the thought of having to stay in my current job for so long; so my advice would be to wait for the results before booking that holiday! :ok:

PS. Is there any chance the start date of the June course would ever get put back or are they always on time?

everton
16th Mar 2006, 08:24
If I worked at HR I would put you on the Dec course too, when I applied it was a 2 year wait to get on course, some waited 3 years. When a course finally became available, guys were getting a weeks notice to get on it, one guy even joined on the last day of New Place, so got a few days notice after the course had started. We were all just thankfull to get in and finally get started. Maybe a cpl weeks notice is not long enough in your circumstance, but would it be impossible??? Not going on the June course due to a holiday, is not on at all. I would be questioning your loyality, yes you may get a bit of flack with her indoors, but this is your career, and you have been fortunate enough to get through, guys who didn't get it, will no doubt be questioning you to.

Quincy M.E.
16th Mar 2006, 08:40
If I worked at HR I would put you on the Dec course too, when I applied it was a 2 year wait to get on course, some waited 3 years. When a course finally became available, guys were getting a weeks notice to get on it, one guy even joined on the last day of New Place, so got a few days notice after the course had started. We were all just thankfull to get in and finally get started. Maybe a cpl weeks notice is not long enough in your circumstance, but would it be impossible??? Not going on the June course due to a holiday, is not on at all. I would be questioning your loyality, yes you may get a bit of flack with her indoors, but this is your career, and you have been fortunate enough to get through, guys who didn't get it, will no doubt be questioning you to.

Read my post again.

I am expressing regret at having booked the holiday but given the circumstances I don’t think that I acted inappropriately in booking it.

I think that considering the pace applications are processed I have every right to ask for deferment from the March course. I applied in May2005 and had my last interview at the end of Feb. How can they expect me to uproot myself in 2 weeks and I think I would be letting my colleagues down at my current employer if I was to leave without serving my notice.

When applying for a position such as this it is not inconceivable that one will not make the grade and as such one has to live life as normal; that is why I have booked a holiday.

Why would 'guys who didn’t get through' be questioning me? I said in the post that I felt sick as a dog about it and I was trying to offer the benefit of hindsight to LNMcC. I don’t think anyone can doubt my 'loyalty' given what I am preparing to give up in order to sit the course.

everton
16th Mar 2006, 08:58
No I am sorry but I dont agree with you. Yes you probably have a valid reason not to go on the March course, although I have seen others uproot everything in such a short time. The June course is another matter though, I am sure you could sell the holiday. If you were asked at the interview if you could join on the June course and you refused because of a holiday you had booked, I reckon "some" interviewers could have questioned your loyality. IMHO I dont think you would have got the job.

Quincy M.E.
16th Mar 2006, 09:03
No I am sorry but I dont agree with you. Yes you probably have a valid reason not to go on the March course, although I have seen others uproot everything in such a short time. The June course is another matter though, I am sure you could sell the holiday. If you were asked at the interview if you could join on the June course and you refused because of a holiday you had booked, I reckon "some" interviewers could have questioned your loyality. IMHO I dont think you would have got the job.

Fair enough, thats your opinion.

FYI I have tried to sell the holiday but the tickets are non-refundable and it is not possible to change the names on the tickets. Also the main reason I can not make the March course is because I am moving house and thought it the gentlemanly thing to do, not to let my partner do it all on her own.

everton
16th Mar 2006, 09:19
I am not getting at you, but there are guys who have unfortunately failed the interviews, who would give up everything to be in your positon. And you are prepared to give up 2 courses and possibly wait until December. Not sure if this post is on anymore, but try a search for "Sept 6th" or "september", I think. It will show you how excited we all were, when we were fortunate enough to start a course early, with very little notice.

Quincy M.E.
16th Mar 2006, 09:27
No, I can understand why you feel this way; believe me I am desperate to start on the course. I realllllllllllllllllllly hate the job that I do at the moment and I reallllllllllllllllllly want to start training to become an ATCO. It was a dificult decision to make to delay joining and the thought of having to remain here for another 6months makes me really depressed when I know that I could have been on the June course. I was in a tricky situation.

If NATs had told me that I had to cancel the holiday then I would have done. They gave me a choice and I made a decision thats all. Oh yeah also by staying in work another 6months I can save some more money so that I am more able to afford the course.:ok:

aaaabbbbcccc1111
16th Mar 2006, 10:25
I would get on the March course now. I bet there are people who turned down the December course who are kicking themselves now, because of the paycuts. You never know whats around the corner, anything could happen, and recruitment could be cut totally (sept 11th).