PDA

View Full Version : Differences between CTR/CTA/TMA

Ed666
26th Jan 2006, 14:43
Could anyone please quickly and simply outline the differences between these three Areas/Zones of airspace?

CTR/CTA/TMA

Apologies if posted in the wrong forum

Cheers

Widger
26th Jan 2006, 14:46
Control Area (CTA). A controlled airspace extending upwards from a specified limit above the earth to a specified upper limit.

Control Zone (CTR). A controlled airspace extending upwards from the surface of the earth to a specified upper limit.

Terminal Control Area (TMA). A control area normally established at the confluence of ATS Routes in the vicinity of one or more major aerodromes.

bigmanatc
26th Jan 2006, 22:45
Ed666

Your R/T instructor should have outlined the differences to you......give him/her a slap.......

Aussie Andy
27th Jan 2006, 12:17
Bit harsh bigmanatc?Your R/T instructor should have outlined the differences to you......give him/her a slap.......What R/T instructor!? PPL instructors might tell yo uif you ask them. R/T is learned a) during PPL Lessons in the air; b) from the Trevor Thom or similar book in order to pass your exam; and c) by passing the R/T practical test.
I think Trevor Thom probably says what the difference is between CTA / CTR (TMA doesn't really impact VFR PPL) but I don't recall any instructor explaining this. Maybe that's because initially you don't need to know much more than what is / isn't controlled airspace and the various classes. Whether it is CTA or CTR or TMA makes little difference in practice in early PPL training IMHO.

eyeinthesky
27th Jan 2006, 14:37
Basically, you can fly underneath a CTA, but you can't usually fly underneath all parts of a CTR.

bigmanatc
27th Jan 2006, 15:59
Harsh on the instructor for not doing he`s job properly. Where I come from ATC`s are the R/T lecturers, ie me and every student I ever gave lectures to definately knows the difference..... (don`t let me down now lads)

Aussie Andy
27th Jan 2006, 16:30
Where I come from ATC`s are the R/T lecturersWould be great to have some ATCs as R-T lecturers.. is that at a flying club? I think most clubs don't have such leactures... shame!

flower
27th Jan 2006, 16:39
Would be great to have some ATCs as R-T lecturers.. is that at a flying club? I think most clubs don't have such leactures... shame!

I used to do it, did offer with the new club but never got a response back.

cleo
27th Jan 2006, 17:19
Bet they can spell DEFINITELY tho;)

bigmanatc
27th Jan 2006, 19:28
Yes...it used to be at the flying club although some students would also come to the tower and ask for R/T lectures. The PPL instructor is actually the key...he/she should enlist the help of ATC or get the students to go to the various towers and get some lectures...you will find most ATC`s are keen to do it especially those that fly.It also does wonders for the pilot/ATC relationship. There are a couple of airline captains around that did their R/T lectures with me when they started flying (no I`m not that old) and we are still friends to this day and whenever I have a question about a procedure...guess who I ask to clarify...?

Thanks Cleo

Spitoon
28th Jan 2006, 10:01
but you can't usually fly underneath all parts of a CTR.Am I missing some humour here or are there really some CTRs you can fly under?