PDA

View Full Version : The CAA invents more charges !

A and C
25th Jan 2006, 18:29
The CAA has just invented some more ways of squeezing more money out of GA and as usual it will be of no benifit to the user or flight safety.

The first new stunt is to take away from licenced engineers the right to certify annual checks, the work on the check will still be the responsability of the licenced engineer but a Part M company will have to raise the work pack and ensure that the paperwork is in order for this the CAA recomended price for a light single is £500 annualy.

The C of A will soon last for the life of the aircraft and the CAA will not have to renew it but I understand that the fee that is normaly paid at C of A renewal will stand.

The second extra cost is for the licenced engineers, by the end of the year all engineers will have to convert there licences to JAR66 licences at no small cost but for non-EASA aircraft ( DHC-1, Tiger Moth Beagle Pup etc)the engineers will still have to have a BCAR section L licence and pay for that as well. So one engineer two licence fees!

Can no one in CAA at Gatwick understand that if they price British GA out of the market they will just export there jobs!

Perhaps this is why the Isle of Man is setting up an aircraft register, can the IoM goverment can see a revinue stream for a reasonable airwothiness authority?

WorkingHard
25th Jan 2006, 19:00
***** Superb Cessna Single For Sale Before Caa Bankrupt Me******

robin
26th Jan 2006, 10:04
A & C

Could you please clarify

If the CofA is non-expiring, is the fee to be paid now at the Annual renewal instead of at the Star?

Secondly, the £500 charge for the Part M company is to be in addition to this as well?

wbryce
26th Jan 2006, 10:42
The C of A will soon last for the life of the aircraft and the CAA will not have to renew it but I understand that the fee that is normaly paid at C of A renewal will stand.

What exactly would we be paying for? A yearly pocket money sum just for there financial benefit? I guess the fat cats want to become fatter.

IO540
26th Jan 2006, 16:56
The CAA is on its way out - except as an enforcement agency of EASA.

A and C
26th Jan 2006, 17:29
To have an annual check done to your aircraft under the new system it will be required for you to engage a part M company to manage the maintenance of your aircraft.

This company will produce the work package for the licenced engineer to work to, after the work has been done the part M company will check the paperwork and produce the certificate of maintenance review.

I am told that the CAA recomended fee for this is £500 for a SEP.

The CAA will no longer have to issue a C of A at three yearly intervals but to there is no evidence that the fee that is paid at C of A renewal is to be dropped, how the CAA intend to collect this money is not at the moment clear.

The new requirment to have a part M company "manage" my maintenance will add about £1.67/ hour to my customers flying costs. If this had some sort of flight safety implication I would not raise to much of an objection but i am now going to have to pay some paper pusher who has probably not seen an aircraft for years to tell the licenced enginners who see my aircraft on a weekly basis how to maintain my aircraft!.

It is an insult to the professional integrity of these engineers who have maintained these aircraft for years and another unwanted cost burden on aircraft owners.

And just to add insult to injury the enginners are going to have to pay two licence fees so that they can cover both EASA and CAA BCAR aircraft and you all know who will end up paying that fee!.

BroomstickPilot
26th Jan 2006, 20:21
A and C,

May we please know where you picked this information up from?

Broomstick.

A and C
27th Jan 2006, 06:58
For light aviation the trouble will start in September 2008 and most of it seems to be held here:-

www.easa.eu.int/doc/Regulation/reg_2042_2003_Part145.pdf

I must confess that I have only skimmed the 140 odd pages of euro gobeldygook but most of my information has come from the chief engineers of two JAR145 companys and one M3 company, these people have day to day contact with the CAA staff charged with introducing this new legislation.

If you take a look at the CAA website you will find that the Licenced Engineers have to change there licence from BCAR to JAR66 by september 2006 for large aircraf and 2008 for light aircraft and pay a fee for it, as some older aircraft are never going to meet the EASA standards these will stay under the BCAR's so the engineer with have to hold a BCAR licence as well. When this comes up for renewal the CAA will no doubt charge for this , so ONE engineer Two licences Two FEES to the CAA.

www.caa.co.uk/docs/177/srg_eld_CessationofBCAR_timetable.pdf

The £ 500 Part M management fee recomendation I have yet to find writen down but it is very hard to see how any company could carry out this function without charging for all the Technical publications that they will have to hold and the payments to the CAA for the part M approval and the audits that will no doubt follow.

As to the C of A renewal fee that we pay at the moment I can find no mention of it's withdrawal in 2008 but the new C of A's that are now being issued by the CAA only run untill 2008 so progress towards the life of aircraft C of A is being made.
As the CAA's charges for GA are under reveiw by a a number of bodys at the moment you would think that the withdrawal of a fee would be ammunition for them to justify there increase in other charges but the CAA are silent over this issue.

robin
27th Jan 2006, 08:43
I contacted the CAA to ask for clarification on this, and they pointed me to their charges site.

It seems that since 2005, our renewals are to be on a one or a two year basis from now on - for us we'll pay the CAA around £96 for one year or £192 for two years, and the maintenance organisation will 'recommend' the period, although they weren't clear about that.