PDA

View Full Version : Things you do before a longish trip

Fuji Abound
25th Jan 2006, 16:05
This thread was provoked in part by the discussions on the use of GPS but please do not limit your thoughts to that aspect.

Here is the scenario. You are planning a longish trip - lets say from the south coast to Scotland, around three to four hours flying time. Departure is set for around 9 the next day and for whatever reason you only decide to make the trip the evening before. What planning do you do and when?

(Part of the reason for asking is I remember for even short trips the amount of time I would spend on planning left me exhausted and my passengers drinking more coffee in the airport lounge than was good for them - or me when they wanted countless stops en route:) ).

How long does it take you, what are the steps you take, and if you had to how quickly could you get airborne from when given the detail.

Ni Thomas
25th Jan 2006, 16:24
This question has got me thinking ....
That very same evening (I almost NEVER do it on the day as there are always pressures to get aloft sooner than one might really want) :-
a) Decide route & Draw line(s) on the chart with my trusty chinagraph.
b) Mark off 10nm intervals on said line(s) eminating out from each waypoint (ie 10' to go, 20' togo, 30'....40' etc).
c) Enter the waypoints into my trusty GPS (Garmin 295)
d) Check that my GPS route coincides with my charted route.
e) Double check that my GPS route coincides with my charted route.
f) Check the weather (www.wunderground.com is good for longer term weather guesstimates) Watch the Beeb forecasts too
g) Pull out the appropriate Bottlang sheets and plonk them into my easily flipped flight file. Check for any updtaes and Notams (on the web)
h) Phone for fuel (if possible and it ain't too late)
i) File flight plan (if necessary)
j) Pack charts, GPS, torch, etc etc into flight bag and put it at the bottom of the stairs.
k) Set the alarm & Go to bed
l) Get up again to make sure the aeroplane keys are attached to the aforesaid flight bag.
m) Go back to bed/
n) Wake up at the crack of sparrows and recheck my GPS waypoints.
E&OE
Just some thoughts whizzing around my head...........

Chilli Monster
25th Jan 2006, 16:51
1) Get NOTAM brief from AIS website
2) Get Met Brief using Avbrief
3) Plan flight using Navbox Proplan. (20 minutes)
4) Drive to airfield. (30 minutes)
5) Preflight and start (15 minutes)

So - Total elapsed time - 1 hr 5 minutes

Add another 5-10 minutes if it involves compiling and faxing any Flight Plans

n5296s
25th Jan 2006, 16:57
Gosh, that all seems complicated...

1. Check general weather situation using excellent NWS website where you can read the internal chitchat among the forecasters

2. If any likelihood of icing over mountains (we have lots) decide not to go.

3. Get route and flight plan from DUATS, then get flight briefing.

4. Quick shufty at VFR and IFR charts to see how route looks, gotchas like SUA etc.

5. Just before leaving home, repeat briefing, file flight plan online unless it's guaranteed perfect VFR.

It helps that I pretty much have flown in every dierction within 3 hrs or so already.

n5296s

IO540
25th Jan 2006, 19:51
Here's a summary :O

The following is a list for a long trip abroad consisting of multiple legs.

General:

Charts, printed & electronic.
If using old ONC charts (Greece etc) mark up CAS/DAs on it from a current flight planning program or from an IFR chart

VFR airport charts (e.g. Jepp Bottlang, Pooleys if in the UK)

IFR charts for destination & alternates (on a VFR flight this would be in case of a weather emergency). Verify that Jeppview contains them too.

Plan routes outside CAS (often this is an impractical route) and plan a preferred direct route. Plan it on VORs, NDBs, airway intersections if aforementioned not available. On VFR flights, always route via an airway intersection located on an international boundary; the EET to that waypoint is required for the flight plan. Plan to fly as high as possible if VFR, VMC on top perhaps (but don't fall into the trap of arriving at a destination when still above an overcast layer! - plan for a DIY descent below the cloud far out over the sea if needed in such a case). Plan for FL080-FL160 if IFR, or if required by terrain.

All planned routes are drawn on the charts, also loaded into a laptop running Navbox and Flitemap, and also loaded into a portable GPS. Make sure you have both wifi and GPRS internet access, and SIM cards are topped-up.

Telephone each destination to check for unusual requirements and then fax them with details to obtain permission where required. For dodgy airspace, or where CAS transits will be seriously desirable, telephone the relevant ATC units and ask for their views and any suggested routes. If there are mandatory VFR routes shown on the charts, check with ATC that they actually care (usually they don't care and will clear you direct at FL080 or whatever on the day) but ensure you have a means of flying the routes (with a GPS, obviously) if pushed. Most phone numbers in Bottlang touring guides (and AIPs) are duff, this is the time to dig them all out! Top tip: phone the ATC (tower) number of a nearby big airport; they will have ALL the right numbers. Take the list of numbers with you.

Top up oxygen bottle. You won't be able to get it topped up until back in the UK. Check cannulas. Check dates on batteries in emergency gear, flatten and recharge all rechargeable ones. Replace batteries in torches. Cameras etc.

Day before the flight:

Pack stuff for the boot, into three categories: a) stuff to remain in the boot; b) stuff to take out at each stop; c) stuff which will partly remain according to point on route (e.g. heavy touring guides). Pack clothes, food, etc. Passports, licenses.

Get notams, for all routes for the planned time windows, from ais.org.uk. Redo the notams before each flight, and (not having a printer) save them on the laptop. Put together a transparent folder for each flight, containing the plog, chart sections, approach plates / SIDs / STARs, notam printouts, PPR confirmations, etc.

Charts sequentially numbered and placed sequentially in a cardboard box.

Get weather, for next flight only if staying at 1st destination for a few days or more. Long TAFs if available, MSLP, GFS (various parameters incl. skew-t forecasts)

File flight plan (fax to departure, or www.homebriefing.com)

Morning of flight:

Telephone departure to make sure they have the flight plan.

Get TAFs and METARs along the route, SigWX, MSLP, etc, and most recent ascent (skew-t) to check likely icing levels, cloudbase and tops.

Fax destination if they need notification on same day.

Passenger beiefing.

Load 1st route into panel mount GPS.

Go and enjoy the view from high up. There is nothing else to do but twiddle the heading bug and change tanks every so often.

Upon return:

Retain notam printouts and airport receipts for 1 year after flight. Airports often bill for landing/parking again (months later) and in the absence of receipts one has to pay it again else they stir up trouble through the CAA or the N-reg trust company.

S-Works
25th Jan 2006, 21:15
I go for a pee.......:)

Flash0710
25th Jan 2006, 22:40
Quite Bose.

There is nothing worse than trying to fly while your mate is teasing one into a bottle of water.

Apart from making him spill it....:E

Luv

f

DubTrub
25th Jan 2006, 22:50
Some excellent responses there.

Perhaps not quite along the lines of your suggested short-notice trip, Fuji, but may I offer for consideration some maintenance items that aught to be in anyone's baggage compartment on a long trip?

Quite often one has broken down at a far-flung field, and although maintenance personnel might be able & willing to assist, there might not be the hardware or replacements necessary for immediate repairs.

My toolbox/spares box (an old 2 litre icecream tub) includes (would need adapting according to aircraft type):

New spark plug in package
Spark plug socket
Loop of lock wire
Lock wire pliers
Needle-nose pliers
Side-cutter
Two adjustable spanners (small & large)
Specific open-ended spanner for removing magneto
Spare mag impulse spring
Cross-head & flat screwdrivers
Small torch
Tyre extension valve
Bicycle tube repair kit
Small selection of split pins
Small roll of duct tape
Small roll of electricians tape
Small can of WD40 (or equivalent)
Selection of plastic cable-ties
Selection of jubilee clips
A few disposable gloves
Some rags.
Total weight 2 pounds.

In my opinion (and experience), the above will resolve 90% of minor breakdowns that one might encounter. The other 10%: find a hotel + bar.

On long trips I also carry a bottle of oil, some tie-downs, a warm woolly-pully, a toothbrush, a condom, spare undies, mobile phone and a credit card.

If one got stuck, that should cover most eventualities.

dublinpilot
25th Jan 2006, 23:10
Put together a transparent folder for each flight, containing the plog, chart sections, approach plates / SIDs / STARs, notam printouts, PPR confirmations, etc

I thought I was the only one who did that! :p

IO540, when you make it to Dublin, you've got to show me how to read those skew-t charts. My efforts to self teach didn't work!

The only things that I would add to all the above, is that I always check the radio failure proceedures for the airport I'm going to, and the general ones for the country I'm flying in. I then add a copy to my "flight pack" for each leg. I always print off the entry from the AIP for that airport, if there is one, and I make sure that I have the taxiway chart.

dp

The Trolls' Troll
25th Jan 2006, 23:57
South coast to Scotland, and presumably return? VFR pilot? All planning is based on the need to not only get there, but to get back. Weather determines everything. When is that likely to take place? July/August. Possible at other times, but the requirement will be a blocking high over the western British Isles, for a West coast route, or perhaps an East coast /Scandinavian high might enable an East coast route. If you’ve got all the time in the world then you can try hopping your way up between frontal systems, but in the Autumn /Winter/ Spring it has not been unknown for planes to be stranded for weeks, in the North, before they have been able to be flown out(VFR).
Long term planning done during the winter/spring. Times, Distances, Headings, Fuel Consumption and Diversion scenarios in still air, checked and double checked.
North of Birmingham/the Wash, GPS not required under VFR conditions. Pilotage alone with Dead-reckoning as a back-up is all that is required. South of Birmingham skilled pilotage and dead –reckoning is required, a project for the Spring. Use a GPS if you have to, but you won’t learn as much.
Prior to such a trip, familiarity with the terrain up to Birmingham and or Humberside will pay dividends. This is the most challenging part of the trip due to similarity of the featureful terrain. The high North is the easy bit in terms of navigation, but the opposite in terms of weather and terrain. Micromet, mountain flying, which few are familiar with in the south, is important. Get advice from pilots of all types from the areas in question, and “Gang warily”. LOCAL ADVICE is VERY IMPORTANT.
On the day, when it comes, Notams, Weather, conversion of all headings, times, and distances and fuel requd from still air to actual winds pertaining, as far as can be reasonably ascertained. Final check on ATC procedures and radio frequencies, Fuel availability, RAF activity, (low-flying ops), Weather, and a final check on the Weather.
En route, monitor the weather, monitor the weather,(deliberate repetition) maintain good lookout especially in the North. Always think low-flying jets. Maintain a listening watch on RT but keep transmissions to a minimum, so that you can concentrate on the weather. Update headings, times and distances as the winds are likely to shift during a lengthy trip, which seldom happens during an evening bimble or the occasional foray in pursuit of £100 bacon buttie A change in wind strength and direction often heralds a change in weather.
In summary, 90 % of the planning for such a trip can and should be done weeks in advance and the trip will be a lot less stressful if the pilot has made the sector, S Coast Birmingham, The Wash, his or her “Local Area” After the trip, especially if you haven’t relied on GPS then you’ll be able to add the West or East coasts, possibly both, to your “Local Area”

javelin
26th Jan 2006, 00:50
Bose-x

You stole my reply !

Having watched my mate squirming on a long night cross country, then trying to pee out of the DV window of a Piper Lance while I am trying to keep it slow and wipe the tears from my eyes at the same time and explain to NCL radar why we appear to have stopped - priceless.

Then a VNE return to LBA followed by my mate's relief on the taxitrack early in the morning.

20 years ago and still brings a chuckle !

RatherBeFlying
26th Jan 2006, 01:52
As AWL has pointed out, the weather when you plan to come back is the biggest gotcha.

It is all too easy to be sucked into a trip by a lovely forecast on the departure only to be trapped by miserable weather when people need to get back to work, school, etc. I was once driving back to Toronto from Thunder Bay being chased by a warm front. I stopped by the Sault ste. Marie airport for some 100 octane for the R5 and came upon the a/c I had done my IR in. The pilot had taken his gf up for the Agawa Canyon train ride only to return to said wf and had to take the bus home and make expensive arrangements to retireve the a/c:uhoh:

Others with less sense have made expensive holes in the ground.

Bad timing -- I would have let him drive my car back while taking gf and a/c back had I known his schedule:E:E

Fuji Abound
26th Jan 2006, 15:22
I could be wrong but everyone so far seems to be using a GPS :)

Presumably the "traditional" flyers do venture outside the immediate cabbage patch.

How does their planning work?

IO540
26th Jan 2006, 16:46
I concur with the carriage of a toolkit. OK, I do know pilots are not authorised to do wire-locking ;) But a plug spanner, a spare plug, and a special tool for cleaning plugs, and a torque wrench (not cheap) is highly desirable. In fact I even carry a spare vac pump on long trips away (although, I confess, this one doesn't have the 8130-3 form with it.....)

"Presumably the "traditional" flyers do venture outside the immediate cabbage patch. How does their planning work?"

:) :) :)

Fuji Abound
26th Jan 2006, 17:08
It is very silent though :ok:

Monocock
26th Jan 2006, 20:58
a condom

I tend to find this isn't enough.

Can I suggest the 2lb limit is "upped" to 2lbs and 1 oz by making it a packet of 24...:}

DubTrub
26th Jan 2006, 21:02
Judging by your last "arrival", Mono, I guess you forgot the pack on that flight.

TotalBeginner
26th Jan 2006, 22:14
Night Before:

1) Choose route, draw line on chart, mark off check points.
2) Choose Alternates
3) Check NOTAMS and 18hr TAF
4) Select Botlang charts and attach to Kneeboard.

Next Morning:

1) Check Weather.
2) Re-check NOTAMS.
3) Download and print Spotwind Chart.
4) Complete PLOG and fuel plan.

At airfield:

1) Visually check tanks for fuel quantity.
2) Jump inside and program GPS.
3) Phone for PPR if necessary / File flight plan.
3) Pre-flight aircraft.
4) Hop in and go.

Keef
26th Jan 2006, 22:29
Goodness me!

I do exactly the same as Chilli Monster. From here to Scotland isn't exactly crossing the Sahara.

The only addition, if the weather is forecast to be iffy, is the IFR plates for the destination and a couple of likely alternates.

Avbrief, AIS, and Navbox Proplan. Print it out. Go to bed.

In the morning, check for AIS updates (never had any yet, but hey) and print off the 215. Go.

My "flying bag" is always packed with everything I'm likely to need in this corner of Europe - I keep the stuff there. Easy.

Fuji Abound
27th Jan 2006, 16:09
I have found the range of replies really interesting.

Not surprisingly it seems to me the way we plan follows very closely our level of experience as do the factors we take into account. This probably determines why so few pilots are prepared to take on longer trips.

There are those were the planning seems meticulous and looks like it would take hours. Every eventually is covered and detailed PLOGS are prepared much as one would have done as part of PPL training. We have all been there.

For a few I guess a trip like this would be put together in an hour (??). A quick look at the 18 hour TAFs the night before and a brief refresh in the morning, 15 minutes putting a route into the GPS in the morning, a quick check of the flight guide to set up a diversion or two and maybe a call to ATC at each diversion, a check of any relevant NOTAMS and away we go. If weather is likely to be a factor a little more planning to ensure the right plates are to hand.

In hindsight I wonder whether all the time spent on meticulous planning was worth it or simply it in some way satisfies our nervousness of longer trips or is a feature of the way we are taught.

Weather is obviously a big factor for all. Did we all use to worry about getting home, particularly if we are not instrument rated? As our experience grows do we just except the weather might not be suitable in a weeks time if that is when we plan to come back, or do we reckon there is unlikely to be more than a day or two consecutively which would not be good enough to fly so all will be well?

IO540
27th Jan 2006, 16:22
My huge list was, as I said in there, for a long VFR overseas trip. That has got to be the worst possible scenario.

For a UK cross country, low-level VFR/IFR, typically under 2 hours, it would be:

Draw route on chart (chart is primary ref for CAS and terrain)
Plan in Navbox and print off a plog (zero wind), write a few frequencies on it
Notams
Weather (TAFs, METARs) and print them off and carry them, so the AAIB can find them on your body
Phone destination to make sure nobody has crashed on the runway, PPR, etc
Get in the plane, load route into KLN94
Switch on a backup GPS (showing CAA chart)
Fly.

Planning time perhaps 30 mins, assuming realtively unchallenging weather.

I do think more experienced pilots plan more thoroughly, but they get it done much quicker. I've seen people plan a flight from say Goodwood to Duxford (not a trivial route from the point of view of how much s**t will hit the fan if you make a mistake) and spend several hours on it. One could drive there much faster. I never fly somewhere where one can drive much faster.

Weather is the hardest thing, because of the lack of instrument approaches, and low level Class A. If I was limited to 100% legal VFR (no IMC) I'd give up flying!

Fuji Abound
27th Jan 2006, 16:47
IO540

.. .. .. but it is only two gps gotos - with a small adjustment to stay north of the Stansted ATZ!

Piltdown Man
27th Jan 2006, 18:35
Chaps, how about dumping the bloody GPS? Spend your time looking out of the window and using the map and clock? I've too often heard the appologies for the GPS packing up but never anybody saying sorry for their map. Less effort "naving" means more time enjoying the trip.

IO540
27th Jan 2006, 19:02
What's needed is an emoticon of a head banging against a brick wall. I've got one but no way to use it here. Or we could run this thread all over again from the beginning.

Monocock
27th Jan 2006, 20:20
Judging by your last "arrival", Mono, I guess you forgot the pack on that flight.
Ok, so I walked into that one:bored:
My medium/long (3-4hr+) flight check list:
Aircraft
Full aircraft check
Oil good
Fuel good
Clean windscreen
Me
Sober (and check again)
Contacted destination
General
Weather checked
NOTAM checked
Mobile phone on board (and switched ON)
Drinking water
Plentiful supply of batteries for GPS
Up to date chart
Someone knows my plans (usually my wife although I often wonder about her integrity if it all went tits up having seen the "bottom drawer" had been opened just after she found out about my EFATO in July 2004.......)
Airstrip surface ok
Spare oil
First Aid kit on board
Black bin liner (had to refrain from using condoms when I was 19)
Camera (in event of EFATO as below)
Here's one I did earlier. Guess the items I had ommitted for this result....:}
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/JonoHolland/OhBugga.jpg

Droopystop
27th Jan 2006, 21:39
Log onto the BA website. Book flight. turn up to the airport......:E

Draw a line on a chart (quarter mil), Look for conspicuous land marks and line features along the route and highlight them. Write the frequencies that might be needed on the chart. Draw up a PLOG with tracks and distances. Check flight guides and mark pages with yellow stickies. Sleep well.

Next morning, check NOTAMS and weather. Complete PLOG and write headings and timings on chart. Phone ahead for PPR and local brief. Recheck chart and fold it properly. Go.

DubTrub
27th Jan 2006, 21:43
OhBugga.jpg

Quite, me dear chap.

Monocock
27th Jan 2006, 21:56
Oops, forgot the "properties" were visiible!!