PDA

View Full Version : Cold WX

VONKLUFFEN
25th Jan 2006, 15:11
Cold WX experts:
:confused: On 737 should the DE/Anti icing be done with flaps up or flaps for T/O configuration? The Q comes from the fact that if the leading edges are retracted (during the DE/ Anti icing), once they are extended for take off the part that was cover by them wont have been neither De iced nor anti iced:eek: . The area is quite big and it is in a critical part of the wing:\ .
Anyone with a friend at Boeing? I would like to place the Q to the ones who built the little machine;) .
Thanks for your help:ok:

Empty Cruise
25th Jan 2006, 15:46
Our manual says all L+TE devices UP, stab trim full forward. The LE part that is exposed once you set TO flaps is flush with inside of slats and thus less prone to contamination. With active contamination, we only set TO flaps when cleared to line up.

Brgds,
Empty

Swedish Steve
25th Jan 2006, 19:20
Our manual says all L+TE devices UP, stab trim full forward. Empty
Agreed that that is what the book says. I deice aircraft in ARN and I must admit that as our airline now has a policy of setting take off flaps before taxy, I advise the crew that in moderate to heavy snow to set the flaps before deicing. They usually agree that this is a good idea.
On a related point, most operators says that when landing on a contaminated runway you should leave the flaps down for inspection. My experience is that on the B737 and MD80 this is a good idea because the flaps are in the line of fire from the wheels, but on the B757 B767 A320 B777 B747, then there is never any contamination from the landing. However if it is snowing then snow builds up on the exposed flaps and needs deicing. It is my opinion that this procedure is a waste of time. Any comments welcome.

Empty Cruise
25th Jan 2006, 20:01
Hi Swedish Steve,

Yep, agree that it must be like that - if flaps are left down for taxi, you must de-/anti-ice with flaps in TO position :ok:

Also agree, on the 73 the flaps need to be left down for taxi-in. We retract them to 15, but that will not close any of the TE gaps, and leave the LE in FULL EXT. No idea about other types - although the ATR has been known to pick up stuff if reverse has been overzealous! :ooh:

Empty