PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Weather Information Service (AWIS) UK forecasts

Aussie Andy
24th Jan 2006, 09:21
New, and so far free, planning forecasts are available online at www.awis.org.uk - they are produced by Simon Keeling's Weather Consultancy Services. I believe that Simon is seeking saponsorship so that these will remain free of charge, although there might end up being a small fee.

Anyway, for now they're free online (and they can also be emailed out to you automatically) and I think the format is really useful - I think they are looking for more feedback. Take a look if interested!

Andy :ok:

IO540
24th Jan 2006, 10:37
I would never want to knock this sort of thing but I think that broad-brush forecasts like that are a bit limited. A PPL (or above) pilot should be able to obtain weather data from the various sources and interpret it appropriately for the planned route.

I know many can't, which is a sad comment on PPL training.

Wannabe24
24th Jan 2006, 10:54
Why deliberately do things THE HARD WAY?!?

got caught
24th Jan 2006, 11:09
Liked the format, but clicking the "North West" link gave me the South West Weather.

IO540
24th Jan 2006, 21:31
"Why deliberately do things THE HARD WAY"

It's a case of having to do it twice. You can look at the broad-brush forecast and perhaps decide to stay at home. That's fair enough; as you aren't flying, the weather is irrelevant. But if you decide to fly, you have to do it properly, get the tafs, metars, etc, etc. so you have some more localised data.

I am never for doing anything the hard way :O