PDA

View Full Version : where to fly to on Sunday...weather permitting

Hour Builder
23rd Jan 2006, 16:26
Haven't flown in 6 or so weeks :uhoh: and fly from Popham where my C150 is based. I need to build my XC hours up as I am doing my FAA SE IR in April. Sure you all know that the definition of a XC flight in the states is a flight of at least 50 NM straight line distance from point of departure, with a landing at that airfield.
I am looking to do an easy (RT wise) flight, which a nice cheap landing fee. Any ideas?? If so can you provide me with experience you've had, and pointer as to who to talk to and when etc.
thanks in advance
HB

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Jan 2006, 17:43
You are planning on an IR and want to make life easy for yourself on RT and navigation?

Why not plan it properly and take a complex and difficult route that you'll learn from? Say, Kemble, around the danger areas and crossing the class D at Brize?

G

BIG MISTER
23rd Jan 2006, 18:04
Check out the 'free landings' offers in the aviation magazines.

There was one for Beccles in Suffolk which has a paved runway so no soggy weather problems.

Have fun ! :}

Hour Builder
23rd Jan 2006, 19:16
You are planning on an IR and want to make life easy for yourself on RT and navigation?
Why not plan it properly and take a complex and difficult route that you'll learn from? Say, Kemble, around the danger areas and crossing the class D at Brize?
G
I am a low hours PPL pilot, doing 40 of my XC hours in the states when I get out there. I do not want to push myself too much too soon with the 10 or so I'd like to have done before I go.
I will undoubtably do a route that you suggest once I have a few hours under my belt, so thanks for that idea.
Anyone offering to join me for the ride?

BRL
23rd Jan 2006, 19:22
Come to Shoreham via the Isle of Wight, then head back via Midhurst. Nice round trip.

Hour Builder
23rd Jan 2006, 19:25
isle of wight is definately somewhere on the list for a nice summer flight, however both Kemble and isle of wight, and shoreham for that matter are not 50NM from Popham

dwshimoda
23rd Jan 2006, 19:44
Sywell? Beautiful airfield, great grass, and only £12 for a C-150.

You can track direct to CPT, through Benson to WCO and then direct to Sywell. Shouldn't be too taxing on the RT, but with enough to stimulate you. Also satisfies the 50nm requirement.

DW.

mark147
24th Jan 2006, 14:54
Headcorn to the East is about the right distance. Nice grass airfield with parachuting. Go South of Gatwick and you wouldn't need to talk to anyone. Go North and you'd want to do a bit more talking.

Out West you could go to Dunkeswell (again with parachuting to watch while you have your bacon sandwich). Weekdays you'd need to talk to Boscombe for MATZ penetration.

If you've not done much UK flying, it would be well worth talking someone along in the right hand seat while you build up your confidence. I would have thought you'd be able to find lots of people at Popham who would go along for the ride.

Mark

strafer
25th Jan 2006, 16:17
For nice easy navigation, you can't beat a coastline. Why don't you overfly Goodwood and take a left to Lydd?

Green stuff on your left, blue stuff on your right - you're going the right way. (Remember to swap on the way back!).

Or maybe make this the time you fly to France? Irv Lee may take the right hand seat if he's free. Also, a good bloke to learn from.

Hour Builder
25th Jan 2006, 17:55
Ya i know Irv, done some flying with him and speak to him a lot.

Lydd is definately on my list. Thanks for the info.

HB

pbloore
26th Jan 2006, 12:49
You could go to Wellesbourne Mountford, landing fee £10, hard runways and an excellent reasonably priced cafe. It would involve negotiating the Brize Zone which is usually quite straightforward or diverting around.