PDA

View Full Version : Air China 129 Busan Crash Final Report??

Blip
23rd Jan 2006, 13:25
Hello.

Does anyone know where I might find a copy of the final report into the crash of Air China 129 at Busan, Korea, on the 15th April 2002?

I downloaded it some time ago but have subsequently lost it and can't find it again on the internet. I think it might have been a Korean site and in PDF format.

It was a very interesting read regarding circling approachs, the differences between TERPS and PANS-OPS design criteria and how easy it is to plow in to a mountain if you don't appreciate the difference between the two.

Anyway can someone steer me to the place out there in the WWW?

Thank you.

alf5071h
23rd Jan 2006, 13:57
CA129 Gimhae Accident Investigation Final Reports (www.moct.go.kr/EngHome/News/view.php?MID=EM051&HOMEPAGENAME=&DEPT=&UID=&id=8&num=1&board=n_english_news) and Appendix

Blip
24th Jan 2006, 01:39
That's the one! Thank you.

Some things that stuck in my mind about this accident are worth mentioning here.

Sure, when the crew lost visual contact with the runway and the ground ahead they should have made an immediate max angle go-around and turned back towards the airport. However if you notice their tracking during the downwind leg, they had to turn to the left to re-adjust their spacing from the runway centreline. This would have made it imposible to keep the runway in view, but who hasn't done that in the simulator especially when the visuals aren't able to depict the outside picture at your 4 O'Clock and you use the map display for orientation with the runway. (I'm talking about losing sight of the runway, not flying back in to cloud.)

This accident happened during the day in marginal weather. If it had been at night with clear conditions, I can well imagine a similar outcome in that the crew could not see the ground for the hills would have been dark and wooded. (There is no red beacon on that particular hill depicted on the approach chart.)

Figure 1-13 shows the crash sight to be pretty much on the 3 degree descent path to the threshold and not all that far from the runway (less than 3 nm). Note just how small the TERPS circling area is and imagine how YOU would keep your aircraft inside it AND roll out on to final on the runway centreline and on the 3 degree path. What height do you reckon you'd be at that point where you're rolling wings level on final approach? How does that compare to the circling approach you practice in the sim?

I've got a few other things to say but have run out of time for now.

TERPS vs PANS OPS. Beware!

Dan Winterland
24th Jan 2006, 03:05
This was a wake up call to many operators who fly in both TERPS and PANSOPS airspace, mine included. However, I'm still suprised how many pilots I fly with who are still not aware of the differences.

Centaurus
24th Jan 2006, 11:18
Worse still are those pilots that descend below the circling MDA at night on late downwind or turning base in the mistaken belief that you are permitted to descend below the MDA at any time providing you can see the runway and need to descend in order to maintain a normal descent profile. Charts do not necessarily depict the critical obstruction on which the circling MDA is based and at night it may be impossible to see the ground on your intended flight path. Simply put, once you proceed below the circling MDA you are entirely responsible for your own terrain clearance. Try that on a black night...

Dan Winterland
24th Jan 2006, 14:10
The circling minima is a descent minima while on instruments. Once you are visual, you can descend below the minima as the instrument phase of the approach is over and you are now to all intents and purposes flying the visual element -a visual circuit with all that entails. i.e. separation is all down to you! If the weather is poor, take care!

However, I would suggest that a minima of about 500' or so is not suitable for a big jet, especially at night. I would like a certain large airport in Japan which considers an approach on the opposite runway with a break off to join downwind an acceptable procedure for noise abate to take note. This airport has already had two close calls to my knowledge. Do they have to have a fatal accident before thay take notice!