PDA

View Full Version : Flight in a P-51

Downwind.Maddl-Land
22nd Jan 2006, 21:32
I wish to fulfill a life-long ambition to have flight in a P-51. It's just got to be done!:D

Not being a pilot-type, it would have to be a TF-51, of course. Anyone know an organisation/company (presumably Stateside?) that provides such a service and how much it would cost?

treadigraph
22nd Jan 2006, 21:52
Stallion 51 at Kissimmee, Florida - costs more than a few bucks but if you Google them you should find out what you want to know.

barit1
23rd Jan 2006, 00:51
Actually, (almost) all civil P-51s have a buddy seat behind the pilot. A mite snug but just fine for a brief ride. (Mine was 40 years ago!)

It would be great to get a little stick time, but the surcharge might not be worth it... :ok:

Keygrip
23rd Jan 2006, 02:19
I asked Stallion 51 a few years ago about the costs of a trip in "Crazy Horse" - I was just curious.

The response - at the time - was $2,500 an hour (though there was some four to six hours of groundschool involved, too).

Don't know what this years charges will be. Doesn't really matter.

dwshimoda
23rd Jan 2006, 08:11
https://www.stallion51.com/flight_ops/flightops-orientation.cfm?axis_v=2 (Stallion 51)

Doesn't give prices on the site though, so as suggested, you will need to email them.

What a treat that would be though!

DW

ronnie3585
23rd Jan 2006, 19:29
I think its approx $3000 an hour, if not a bit more. Have a mate in FL who has done an hour and I think thats what he payed.
Im all ready saving:rolleyes:

High Wing Drifter
23rd Jan 2006, 20:00
Check this guys web site out. He has the video footage up of his Stallion51 experience: http://www.tf51d.com/

MP41 (if you happen to glance here) (or even M14P perhaps :O)

Have a gawp at the aileron/barrel roll clip. A little sedate wouldn't you say :D

barit1
24th Jan 2006, 22:03
Check this guys web site out. He has the video footage up of his Stallion51 experience: http://www.tf51d.com/

The stall & wingover (lazy 8) sequence is great - good familiarization over a wide speed range. That is what my dad insisted upon for confidence building for checkout in a new type.

For lightplane pilots - note the turn after the pair of stalls. Bank angle over 45°, pulling close to 2 G's, but the nose is just creeping around the horizon indicating a very large turn radius. A P-51 needs a lot of sky! :ok:

B2N2
25th Jan 2006, 16:27
Very professional operation at Kissimee.
They keep the planes in immaculate condition with inspections after every flight.
Would myself be hesitant to go up with anybody else in what is essentially a 60 year old airplane.

White Bear
25th Jan 2006, 20:58
Cool Hand,
SOB, I just returned from a week in San Diego, if only I had known......
W.B.

Downwind.Maddl-Land
29th Jan 2006, 13:12
Thanks for the Steer, treadigraph.:ok:
I've been in contact with Stallion51 and the price is currently $2,950 for an hour and $2,150 for a half hour 'orientation flight'. May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb!:}
Just got explain to She Who Must Be Obeyed that the funding for a house extension programme has undergone a Strategic Financial Review!:ouch:
Making up the bed in the spare room too................:uhoh:

barit1
29th Jan 2006, 15:08
At least you have your priorities straight! ;)

treadigraph
30th Jan 2006, 09:25
Enjoy it you lucky blighter!

Stallion's proprietor is reputed to have said to his son after divorce: "I've either got to sell the house or the Mustang. You can't live in a Mustang, but you sure as hell can't fly a house".

singaporegirl
30th Jan 2006, 20:43
By coincidence, I've just got back from Kissimee, where I flew with Lee Lauderback in Mad Max last week. I can't recommend Stallion 51 enough. It's a fantastically professional outfit, and Lee is very careful to tailor each orientation flight to what you want to get out of it as well as your level of expertise (in my case absolutely no experience of aeros or stick and rudder - but now I'm eager for more :O ). Something like 38% of flights are repeat business, so, given the cost, he must be doing something right. :ok:

Forget the house extension - time to downsize to a caravan. ;)

White Cloud
3rd Feb 2006, 02:23
absolutely no experience of aeros or stick and rudder Did you discover it difficult compared to a yoke?

Milt
3rd Feb 2006, 06:30
You can feel very comfortable in a Mustang when you are being shot at when you have almost 3,000 rounds of 0.50 cal in the bins and 6 HV rockets.

You can feel uncomfortable if the fuel tank just behind the cockpit is topped up with 75 gallons. It's longitudinally unstable. Might be nearly stable again when that space is you.

What say you 2 place Mustang pilots?

proplover
3rd Feb 2006, 17:06
Downwind - sent you a PM regarding your dream - did you get it as I thought you'd of been in touch?

tinpis
4th Feb 2006, 01:02
Bud Anderson still flying P-51 he must be 80 something .
Milt that be about your age? Ya reckon you could still pull yaself over the side into the cockpit?
Tin was offered a flying CA 51 with spares in 1973 for $75000 :{

barit1
4th Feb 2006, 01:48
Jim Morton bought a batch of them from RCAF about 1960 and rehabbed them at Midway airstrip, Elkhart, IN. FAA regs were in the N63xxT batch IIRC.
Most were pretty sorry when they arrived, but most became pretty nice after much cleanup & rework. :ok:

White Cloud
4th Feb 2006, 02:13
It would take just about all my savings to fly a P-51. Reading what I have here, it seems worth it. I just worry I do not have the experience. Would it be a waste of money at the PPL level?

tinpis
4th Feb 2006, 02:29
Would it be a waste of money at the PPL level?

You are most likely gonna waste it on aeroplanes anyway.

May as well be one you will be jabbering about for a while.

singaporegirl
4th Feb 2006, 09:28
Milt:

You can feel very comfortable in a Mustang when you are being shot at when you have almost 3,000 rounds of 0.50 cal in the bins and 6 HV rockets.
You can feel uncomfortable if the fuel tank just behind the cockpit is topped up with 75 gallons. It's longitudinally unstable. Might be nearly stable again when that space is you.
I can't comment on the first. :O But the TF-51 didn't feel too unstable. It took a while to get used to the strong nose-down position for flying straight and level, and elevator trim was important. But otherwise it was a delight to fly.

White Cloud, I didn't find a stick difficult compared with a rudder. Cdertainly for doing aerobatics, a stick seemed to be far more manoeuvrable and "natural" - I imagine a yoke would be a bit more unwieldy. But given that was the first time I've ever done aerobatics, mine is hardly the voice of experience! ;)

And don't worry about your lack of experience - you will love it. Lee said that most people doing orientation flights are PPLs with about 200 hours. And those who have done lots of aerobatics in, say, a Pitts, can sometimes be at a disadvantage, because they are often too forceful on the controls; the Mustang actually requires quite gentle pressures. Just go for it! :ok:

Downwind.Maddl-Land
4th Feb 2006, 10:35
Proplover - Got to the PM today, many thanks! Reponded just now. Apologies for not responding sooner, reasons explained in PM.

Some of us have to earn a living to be able indulge in these expensive desires first!:eek:

White cloud: Stallion51 advise no experience needed. I am not a pilot - but nothing is going to stop me doing this somehow!

Canadian Luscombe
6th Feb 2006, 20:19
I just worry I do not have the experience. Would it be a waste of money at the PPL level?
I doubt that your experience would make any significant difference, bearing in mind that you are considering an experience flight and not a full conversion on type. Any student pilot or newly-minted PPL should be perfectly capable of having fun and getting a small 'taste' of what it is like to fly a Mustang.

those who have done lots of aerobatics in, say, a Pitts, can sometimes be at a disadvantage, because they are often too forceful on the controls; the Mustang actually requires quite gentle pressures.This is a first; I have never before heard anyone criticize the Pitts Special for being unresponsive / requiring heavy control inputs.

proplover
9th Feb 2006, 16:39
Candian L, he didnt say the Pitts was unresponsive - the comment refers to the effort by the pilots behalf when executing the aircraft. Aerobatic pilots from a Pits, CAP etc background tend to go "bang" on the stick to roll, "bang" on the stick to recover, "bang" on the stick to go up etc etc WHEN doing a routine. P51's and Spits do not take kindly to that type of handling. Of course a Aerobat chap can adapt, we had a UK champion who flew brillantly but he had an extensive briefing and had it drummed into him that this was an historic aircraft and the controls are sensitive, speeds much higher etc but your not doing 8g routines.

Downwind.Maddl-Land
23rd Jul 2006, 16:34
Just to close this out - Did it! Absolutely magnificent and worth every penny/cent!:ok:

Flew in Crazy Horse 2 - so there is a market for this and Stallion 51 seem to be doing very well if they can afford to add a second airframe.

The condition of the airframe has to be seen to be believed. It was immaculate and is polished/cleaned after every flight; even the blue exhaust 'bloom' behind the stubs is polished out after every flight.:D

VERY professional and friendly operation. Highly recommended and all power to their elbow. Saving starts for installment #2 wie.

By the way, they would like to add a 2-seat Spitfire to their collection to meet needs of the Brit enquiries they get.

pistongone
23rd Jul 2006, 23:24
If you are over in the UK and have a day spare then make your way to a little field called Brieghton, about 10 miles SSE of York. They have a P51 and you can go for a spin for appx £700/half hour. Airfield manager Bryan flies it. They also have an airworthy Hurricane and ME109. Great place to spend some money. I must say the prices your paying in the states seems a bit higher than i would have thought when you think we are paying £1.20 plus a litre!

snapper41
26th Jul 2006, 19:00
Does anyone know if there is anywhere to get a trip in a 2-seat Spitfire? I don't think Caroline Grace offers flights, unless you know better?

treadigraph
26th Jul 2006, 22:09
Snapper41, I believe Carolyn does, but the waiting list is quite lengthy!

More info on the UK's two-seaters on this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235003). Also Bill Greenwood has one at Aspen in Colorado if you are ever over that way.