PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for a fantastic service...

uk
22nd Jan 2006, 17:53
Last week, I was the co-pilot when we developed an unusual problem with all three of our VHF comms boxes. All at once, the digital boxes decided they weren't going to let us change frequency and displayed "INOP" in every Active and Standby frequency window. Suffice to say, this presented us (and ATC) with an interesting scenario. We tried in vain to remedy the problem but to no avail. We were left with little option but to inform ATC and seek some help. (I don't know exactly what sector it was but we were between ORTAC and Goodwood for a WILLO3C into LGW).

To cut a long story short, we stayed on the frequency that we were on when the problem occurred (since we obviously couldn't change it) and ATC coordinated with all our subsequent sectors, relaying clearances to us. We completed a procedural ILS into LGW and were cleared to land by the upper-airspace controller at Swanwick! Has that ever happened before!? After landing, we were guided to our stand by a follow-me car. After all our passengers got off, the engineers arrived and to my knowledge, they are still investigating the probem, days after the incident.

The Captain and I would sincerely like to thank the ATCO(s) involved because as well as having us to deal with, the female ATCO was controlling a very busy London sector. Once again, you have re-confirmed NATS' reputation for providing the highest quality service - it's a pleasure to work with you and thanks to all involved in our "rescue". We hope it didn't cause too much disruption that day and we''ll try not to do it again!

Northerner
22nd Jan 2006, 18:48
Hiya,

I was on duty that day, doing some of the phone calls between West Drayton, Gatwick approach and the guys down at Swanwick who were working the frequency you were on.

It was certainly the first time I've ever known anything like it - and I dont' think I've ever seen a procedural approach before (although I'm a mere youngster - only 8 years at West Drayton!)

I will certainly pass on your thanks to our guys tonight and send the link to a Swanwick person too, so that it gets printed there.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post your thanks, it's always nice to know we are appreciated!

:ok:

Cheers,
N

"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up too..."

SilentHandover
22nd Jan 2006, 19:09
I was working in the tower at the time you landed, we're back in tonight and I'll pass on your thanks to those involved our end.

SH

5milesbaby
23rd Jan 2006, 10:45
Hadn't heard about this one but I work the sector that you were stuck on (S20 I expect, 129.425?) so will ask around and let the controllers involved know of this thread.

First time I've ever heard of an Area/Swanwick controller clearing something to land at any major airport like that, just glad the comms worked that low!!!!!

uk
23rd Jan 2006, 11:09
First time I've ever heard of an Area/Swanwick controller clearing something to land at any major airport like that, just glad the comms worked that low!!!!!
We were surprised about the comms ourselves - in fact, even on the ground at LGW we could still receive all of the transmissions from aircraft and ATC. I guess there must be a transmitter nearby.
And yes, I think the frequency in question was 129.42. (The one before 133.17 and then 126.82 going into LGW on a WILLO3C)

Widger
23rd Jan 2006, 11:18
The transmitter for that leg is near a certain town, between your stand and the M25!