PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow on easterlys

positionand hold
22nd Jan 2006, 17:51
I see HD is on at the moment, so one for you.

Am I missing something. When on 09R, why does the tower always give the after departure instruction of "at 2 miles DME, turn right heading 220.... etc." Surely this should be part of the normal clearance and startup? Why isn't it a part of the normal STAR for 09R. I can figure out the reason for the turn, but why is it given by the tower?

Having said that, last week as SLF, we tracked to DVR very close to the city, say 5 nm south - I don't reckon we were heading 220 or anywhere near.

Gonzo
22nd Jan 2006, 18:12
That revised clearance is only given to CPT departures. The CPT departure route actually gets too close to the final approach to 09L, so instead we give a heading (usually 220) to those on a CPT route. We don't give it at start up because the heading is chosen by the radar controller tactically. If it's busy with aircraft flying downwind to the south of Heathrow, it might be 220, but if it's quiet, radar might give a heading of, say, 260.

DVR, DET, MID, SAM routeings are not affected by this, and follow the departure route as given on start up. This only changes when there is a helicopter operating to the south of Heathrow, then all southbound a/c (CPT, SAM, MID, DVR, DET) will get 'straight ahead to altitude 1,500 feet before turning right'

Yellow Snow
22nd Jan 2006, 21:46
Gonzo,

your usual high standards are missing today.

The Mats 2 is clear that the 'straight ahead to 1.5A' for seperation against H9 traffic to the south on Easterlies isn't applicable to the DVR/DET as the turn is clear of H9.

Come on my friend with mistakes like that you'll never get the invite to lunch with the main man or an access card to the inner circle:D ;) :D

Gonzo
22nd Jan 2006, 21:55
My God you're right! The goes my lunch with the CEO!

Inner circle? I'm forming an 'outer square' if anyone's interested.......

Talkdownman
23rd Jan 2006, 11:28
Most appropriate,Gonz.
Yellow Snow, I know that you are fairly new to the game but in your self-exalted, elitist, macho-posturing, Prima Donna position you should be able to spell separation by now. The noun is 'invitation'. 'Invite' is a verb.

AlanM
23rd Jan 2006, 11:48
Don't worry - he has never got the idea of separation....

GT3
23rd Jan 2006, 16:40
YS - do you get to take a guest to the dinner at Barron's? Wonder if your new email friend will get the invitation ;)

Yellow Snow
24th Jan 2006, 08:11
There's always a spell check nazi lurking behind the bushes;)

clicker
25th Jan 2006, 00:25
Inner circle? I'm forming an 'outer square' if anyone's interested.......

With bayonets fixed?

And with todays defence budget where's the cannon coming from?