View Full Version : Request info on old 767 incident

punkalouver
22nd Jan 2006, 17:32
Many years ago a 767 on departure somewhere, perhaps Margarita Island, clipped an antenna on top of a mountain but continued flying. Does anyone know the details or if there is a report about this incident?

jrsanch
22nd Jan 2006, 17:55
Just from the top of my head, remembering, yes, SVMG, aircraft took off bound for Europe and was cleared direct after departure to a certain fix to the North, and it hit an antenna at the "Copey Mountain". Aircraft started to lose fuel and returned to SVMG. They found out later that they had hit the antenna.
Since then, a new departure procedure was created form SVMG, the one that still stands.
Will research to see if more data is found

EGGW
22nd Jan 2006, 18:03
I think if my memory serves me right it was a Condor aircraft. MSA was high, but crew cleared direct whereever, and weren't situationally aware as they perhaps should have been. Perhaps living in a radar environment was a casual problem.
It was covered in a CRM refresher many moons ago.

EGGW

timmcat
22nd Jan 2006, 19:37
Just spent 10 minutes googling this with little luck. Found the following on a Venuzuelan site detailing air incidents in the country:

Fecha: 26-06-1992
Sigla: DA-BUZ
Modelo: B-767
Propietario: Condor (Alemania).
POB: 265 ilesos.
Lugar del accidente: Impacto con antena en el Cerro Copey, Isla de Margarita, Edo. Nueva Esparta.

Not much, sorry!

readywhenreaching
22nd Jan 2006, 19:37
from my DB:

21.06.1992 25209/D-ABUZ Boeing 767300ER Condor Porlamar area/Isla de la Margarita/VNZ Venezuela 261 pax + x crew
On climb-out after takeoff to the north, the 767 hit a tv-antenna-mast causing a massive crack in the left wing (2 x 0,7 m). Aircraft returned to land safely. A new wing was later fitted. The aircraft was out of service for several weeks."

hope you could use it,

readywhen

Georgeablelovehowindia
22nd Jan 2006, 20:00
No, not a new wing, just a neat shiny 'strap' from leading to trailing edge. I operated through SVMG just as the Boeing on-site repair team were packing up, so we strolled over for a look. All they were waiting on was a test flight, following which the aircraft went straight back into service.

tribo
22nd Jan 2006, 20:58
More info from document I have:
(Please note that we now have three different dates for the accident 21, 23 and 26 June - What is correct?)
23 June 1992
B-767-300
Hit radio tower during climb
Margarita
The aircraft clipped the top of a tv tower located on the top of a 3000 ft mountain during a night departure. A misunderstood clearance with non-standard phraseology and improper read back led to a flight into terrain situation.
''PERRY'' intersection, located 032 degrees and 150 nm from the airport, had been entered into the FMS as a waypoint direct from liftoff. The aircraft returned after liftoff at 750 ft to follow the magenta line to ''PERRY'' on the navigation display in map mode ''MAINTAIN RUNWAY HEADING AFTER TAKEOFF'' had not been read back.
A Mk V GPWS issued a ''TERRAIN! TERRAIN! PULL UP!'' some six seconds from impact. The captain was flying, however the F/O immediately responded with a gentle pull up that was not sustained, but which achieved an altitude gain of about 200 ft. Had this pull up not been made, the aircraft would have collided with the tower near its base where it was substantially wider.
The wing cut off the top 30 ft of the 300 ft tower, damaging the left leading edge about 20 ft from the wing tip (6 ft wide by 2 ft deep) rupturing the fuel tank, damaging the leading edge flap drive, anti ice duct, stringers and the front spar, and leaving red paint across the top of the wing. Fuel was dumped and the flight returned for an uneventful landing.

t-bag
23rd Jan 2006, 08:49
Not surprisingly to do with the standard of ATC ? Clearances even now are at best uninteligible.

Georgeablelovehowindia
23rd Jan 2006, 11:36
http://photobucket.com/albums/c60/Georgeablelovehowindia/th_SVMG.jpg

Photograph taken from the ramp at SVMG, which is to the north of 09/27 i.e. the runway is behind the aircraft, which is facing north, and of course is not the Condor 767. In the original photograph it's just possible to make out the mast array on the crest directly above the air-conditioning truck.

The 767 took off on 09 and executed an immediate left turn to intercept the leg to the first waypoint in the FMC.