PDA

View Full Version : First fly-in of 2006 ?

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Jan 2006, 14:03
In a couple of months we might just have some consistent weather and daylight. So....

.... is it time to start thinking about the first Private Flying fly-in of 2006?

I'd suggest that if we do late March or early April might work well, but any suggestions of where? Usual requirements apply - somewhere most of us can get to (and into), with good catering and ideally a few things to see.

G

dwshimoda
22nd Jan 2006, 21:34
Yep - I'm up for that!

I haven't been to Old Sarum, and belive they do a mean bacon butty, and have an interesting approach - any good as an idea?

DW.

BRL
22nd Jan 2006, 21:43
Disagree with Old Sarum regarding the bacon butty. Was there a few months back, got two pieces of bacon between two slices of bread and not even any butter on it! Nice airfield though. :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Jan 2006, 06:49
Disagree with Old Sarum regarding the bacon butty. Was there a few months back, got two pieces of bacon between two slices of bread and not even any butter on it! Nice airfield though. :ok:
Well the bacon butties can be a bit mediocre at OS, but the full cooked lunch is fantastic.

We have been to Old Sarum before, apart from that it's a fantastic place with some wonderful local scenery so if the majority haven't been there, great idea.

G

FlyingForFun
23rd Jan 2006, 06:53
What an excellent idea.... and there's even a small chance that I might be able to make it this time :ok:

I won't make any suggestions until I'm more certain that I'll be there, but I'm looking forward to it already.

FFF
---------------

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Jan 2006, 18:30
So that's four of us, any more for any more?

G

BEagle
23rd Jan 2006, 18:39
One recommends the excellent Touchdown Cafe at Wellesbourne Mountford.....

dwshimoda
23rd Jan 2006, 19:52
Disagree with Old Sarum regarding the bacon butty.

Perhaps we should contact Pooleys and get them to give a butty rating alongside other vital info such as LDA?!?!

On a more serious note, perhaps if we fix a date now more people may join in - I have a 1/10th share and you need to book well in advance in order to guarantee a date!

DW.

mazzy1026
23rd Jan 2006, 20:08
I am up for that ;)

(with the full intention of holding a PPL, if not, can a meagre stude come along)? :ooh:

CDH
25th Jan 2006, 15:46
I am up for that ;)

(with the full intention of holding a PPL, if not, can a meagre stude come along)? :ooh:

That'd be an expensive dual navex mazzy :eek:

dublinpilot
25th Jan 2006, 15:57
About 1.5 hours each way at 100kts?

Assuming you have your PPL by then, team up with another PPL, each flying one direction, stay overnight and make a weekend of it. Pay for 1.5 hours, and get 3 hours in that air ;)

I always find overnight trips are far more fun, and really make me value my licence;)

dp

CDH
25th Jan 2006, 16:42
T'was thinking of his comment of coming as a meagre stude DP,
had this image of Mazzy & instructor in tow, charging by the hour...:hmm:

dublinpilot
25th Jan 2006, 16:51
Oh show a little confidence in him ;)

And if not, I suppose he could suggest a solo cross country "consolidation" flight :D

Failing that, he could promise the instructor free beer, and loose women would be there, so the instructor would think it was their idea :O

dp

nipper1
25th Jan 2006, 17:12
I have no idea who most of you lot are as I generally only lurk here but it would be fun to find out more. Hopefully my aerial cash-drain (otherwise known as rebuild project) might be flying by then. Maybe your chosen date could be my target. If I am done, count me in.

I'm based near Southampton with just over an hours range at 80 knots (your ars* goes numb just slightly ahead of the fuel running out).

BRL
25th Jan 2006, 19:15
Ok so we are still looking for suggestions where.......How about Goodwood or Redhill?

How about Sunday April 2nd?

dwshimoda
25th Jan 2006, 19:29
Fine by me. Never been to one of these fly-in's before, and never been to Goodowood before, so sounds cool, and runway's long enough even for me, which is a bonus!

DW

High Wing Drifter
25th Jan 2006, 20:47
Count me in!

mazzy1026
25th Jan 2006, 21:02
and loose women would be there

That's him persuaded then :E

Genghis the Engineer
26th Jan 2006, 07:36
Ok so we are still looking for suggestions where.......How about Goodwood or Redhill?
How about Sunday April 2nd?

I'm allergic to Redhill ! Just about the least GA friendly GA field in England unless it's changed markedly in recent months. Also they won't allow non-based microlights in, which would exclude many of our brethren (including me depending upon what I'm flying that day).

Suggested airfields (just summing up):
Old Sarum (http://www.oldsarumflyingclub.co.uk/)
Wellesbourne (http://www.wellesbourneairfield.com/)
Goodwood (http://www.goodwood.co.uk/aviation/)
Redhill (http://www.redhillaerodrome.com/)

2 April seems far enough in the future to plan for.

If it comes down to voting, I'm personally divided of that lot between Wellesbourne-Mountford and Goodwood, closely followed by the lovely (but to me, familiar) Old Sarum, and Redhill firmly at the bottom.

G

CDH
26th Jan 2006, 08:35
Goodwood & redhill are a bit on the far side for a day trip this time of year for me.
Wellesbourne Mountford sounds more realistic, as Beags suggested,
or maybe Gloucester?

cirrus01
26th Jan 2006, 12:06
Wouldn't recommend Redhill for a fly in.......... although it is a nice airfield with good ATC and choice of grass runways, there are no refreshment facilities on the Control tower side ( except a drinks vending machine ). Venturing across to the other side and things are no better.......... Last summer we arrived and went to an un-named flying school near the Bristows hangar on a hot August day in search of a cup of tea and some vittles ............
On enquiry at the reception desk / office we were told a flat " No "............... nothing else ,in a most unfriendly attitude, no suggestions about alternative venues etc,etc......... an very strange stance to take for a business !

I decided there and then that I wouldn't be persueing any additional flying ratings there ! :(

pbloore
26th Jan 2006, 12:38
I can definitely second the comments about the Touchdown Inn at Wellesbourne - they're famous for their bacon and very popular with the local cyclists and motorcyclists, which is always a good sign. Bearing in mind the prevailing weather a hard runway could be handy!.