PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 96C External Antenna - Yes or No?

Cricket23
22nd Jan 2006, 08:29
Hi all,
I'm just about to buy a Garmin 96c and wondered if it was worth buying the optional antenna. Has anybody noticed an appreciable difference pre/post having an antenna?
Thanks,
C23
PS - Does anybody have any experience of the optional road package as well? Could be useful for low-level flying!!;) No, seriously, is it any good?

paco
22nd Jan 2006, 08:32
I've found it works well without the extra antenna, as long as it is somewhere on your knee or near the window. I use the road package with my 296 (I've got both) and found it to be excellent, although you can't directly input postcodes for some strange reason

Phil

A and C
22nd Jan 2006, 09:07
The only extra antenna worth having is one that is mounted on the top of the aircraft and can "see" the whole sky.

justinmg
22nd Jan 2006, 09:19
Using a window sucker antenna is a must for my 196.
With the unit on the yolk, the in built antenna will pick up 3 or 4 satellites and give acceptable positioning accuracy. With the window sucker, it will pick up 6 minimum, providing very good position, smooth updates and height +/- 50ft of QNH.

dwshimoda
22nd Jan 2006, 10:30
I bought a 96c last year and have used it loads. My only gripe was that it sometimes lost the signal, or had a weak signal, when mounted on the control yoke. Last week I bought the external aerial and mounted it with the suction mount on the rear window, and what a difference! I would say it's definitely, definitely worth it, although it may be a pain to route the cable when I have all four seats occupied.

One thing I would say, you don't need to buy the Garmin one for £70 / £80. If you want to PM me, I'll tell you where to get one that does the job perfectly, for £22.50!

DW :ok:

IO540
22nd Jan 2006, 11:48
An external antenna is a MUST for a GPS. Clip it to the top of the front window or similar so it gets a good view of the sky.

strafer
23rd Jan 2006, 12:19
Thanks Justin - eggscellent post.