PDA

View Full Version : Number of HF radios required for NAT?

Walter Sobchak
21st Jan 2006, 21:35
My MEL states one HF radio may be inop while conducting
operations that require two LRCS provided.........

As we donīt have SATCOM as a backup I would like to know the required number of HF radios for a typical NAT crossing(Shanwick OCA, Gander OCA). Does somebody have the regulation/source of the requirement? Can somebody post it?

I found only a general description in the MNPS manual stating

The carriage of HF communications equipment is mandatory for flight in the Shanwick
OCA. Aircraft with only functioning VHF communications equipment should plan their route outside the
Shanwick OCA and ensure that they remain within VHF coverage of appropriate ground stations throughout
the flight.. Details of communication requirements are published in State AIPs and ICAO publications

and

HF communication is mandatory in Shanwick OCA. Most routes require 2 long range
communications systems. Some operators are allowed SATCOM as a substitute for one HF system. VHF
communications (freq 123.45 or 121.5) can be used as to relay air-ground ATS communications as backup in
case of en route HF failure.

Brgds, Walter

Techman
21st Jan 2006, 23:22
A copy of your company's MNPS approval should be onboard the aircraft. It should state what equipment are required or refer to the relevant chapter in the operations manual. In any case, your MEL will be part of the approval and should therefore take that into consideration.

Have a look through the CAR's. I sure they will confirm only 1 HF is required.