PDA

View Full Version : Where to fly to tomorrow...

dwshimoda
21st Jan 2006, 08:01
Hi All,

here's the scenario - got 5 hours of freedom tomorrow afternoon 1pm - 6pm to go for a fly. I'm based at Cranfield and want to visit somewhere I haven't been, within about an hours flight time in a C172.

I've been to:
Duxford
Wellesbourne
Lydd
Shoreham
Turweston
Connington
Kemble
Nottingham
Sheffield
Robin Hood
North Weald
Elstree
Gloucestershire

I fancy something a bit challenging, ie zone transits / danger areas, etc, but not too demanding.

Anyone have any suggestion for somewhere friendly and fun I can pop into for a tea and a bacon butty?

DW :ok:

Engine overtemp
21st Jan 2006, 08:27
Old Buckenham http://www.touchdownaerocentre.co.uk/ used to do a cracking bacon butty but I haven't been there for a year or so. Nice people and reasonable landing fees.

Zulu Alpha
21st Jan 2006, 09:32
I'd also recomend Old Buckenham in Norfolk. Tarmac runway.
You have to have to speak to Lakenheath/Mildenhall on 128.90 for a Matz crossing. there is also danger area 208, mildenhall will tell you if it is hot or cold. So there is something to do but not too challenging

Bacon butties, Mustang Burgers, etc etc. Parachuting to watch and then a nice trip home.

Call them first for instructions as they have a large circuit to the north to avoid being overhead Attleborough.

Let us know how you get on

Hour Builder
21st Jan 2006, 10:36
Popham is a friendly airfield, with a very tricky little turn to line up with the runway while above the threshold.
HB

Brooklands
21st Jan 2006, 11:00
dwshimoda,

Here's a few more to add to your list:

Compton Abbas
Leicester
Old Sarum
Thruxton (phone beforehand it may be closed if there's motor racing on)
Shobdon.

Brooklands

Keef
21st Jan 2006, 11:53
Old Buck is nice, and watch out for the enormous mast at Tacolneston as well as the MATZes.

Southend is different - danger areas to the East, a pier aimed straight at the airfield, and a pretty good bacon sarnie in the caff. Very friendly staff in the FBO. Landing fee's a bit higher though - £17-ish, but you do get NDB, ILS, Approach and Tower.

markflyer6580
21st Jan 2006, 11:53
If you were to go roughly direct to humberside its about an hour from you with a few matz crossings full atc up here 2 or 3 different lars providers.

Landing fee isn't too bad but not much to do here,you could still head this way but go to wickenby or maybe sandtoft which is pretty close to doncaster finningley airspace?

Have fun wherever you go I'm off to finish my night rating later,nice wx for once!:ok:

Bahn-Jeaux
21st Jan 2006, 13:00
Hey Mark, dont forget he could always sample the delights of Cleethorpes............? Nah, stay at the airport, its :mad: freezing at the minute with the wind blowing.

dwshimoda
21st Jan 2006, 13:30
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old Buckenham it is tomorrow, and I'll try some of the other suggestions in the next few months.

Happy flying!

DW>

Fuji Abound
21st Jan 2006, 16:01
Cranfield, Luton (via the VFR corridor), BUR (special VFR through the Heathrow zone), Farnborough, Shoreham.

On the way back;

May, Thurrock, Panshager, between Stansted and Luton, home - with a possible stop at Headcorn (well worth a visit and free landing with fuel).

A circular route round all the zones so a bit more interesting, and some good scenery as well.

Let us know what you decide.

(In case you decide against OB)

dwshimoda
21st Jan 2006, 16:43
Fuji,

Already planned for OB now, but Shoreham is a favourite, however, I normally route one way round the LHR & Gatwick zones, and come back the other way.

What does an SVFR transit involve, and how easy is it to get? I have no problems with transiting Luton normally, just would have thought Heathrow a bot more difficult - sounds like a challenge though.

DW.

jayteeto
21st Jan 2006, 16:59
Don't bother coming in the NW direction unless you have an IR. Fog forecast I'm afraid....

Lister Noble
21st Jan 2006, 17:43
DW,
I'm at Old Buck tomorrow doing my first land away at Cambridge.
It would be good to meet a fellow Forumist,what plane do you fly , reg no and likely time of arrival?
Excellent reasonably priced food and landing fees.
If you join for around £35/year you have free landings and reduced fuel costs.
Lister:)

Genghis the Engineer
21st Jan 2006, 22:12
I flew into Popham today, if you've not been there before it's got a demanding approach and a slightly muddy grass runway. But also is very friendly, usually lots of interesting visitors, and decent catering.

Or go a bit further, cross some water, and end up at Sandown or Bembridge, with slightly less difficult approaches, but also all the good bits.

G

javelin
21st Jan 2006, 23:16
Get up to Breighton, the bacon butties and tea are awesome, there are interesting aeroplanes and a good welcome :ok:

(That'll be a free tea next time then Brian ?)

dwshimoda
22nd Jan 2006, 07:53
Lister,

C-172, G-BJDE. Hoping to arrive around 3pm, just need this fog to lift - currently got viz of about 200m.

Maybe see you there?

DW.

Lister Noble
22nd Jan 2006, 08:01
DW,
I may still be there at 1500hrs but planning flight for this morning,as drizzle is forecast for Norwich later.
I hope to see you .

dwshimoda
22nd Jan 2006, 09:19
OK - maybe see you later. Good luck with the land away.

DW.

dwshimoda
23rd Jan 2006, 07:58
Didn't get to OB as I wasn't totally sure about the weather, and hadn't flown any IMC for a few months. So I grabbed an instructor from the club to sit in the right seat and went and did two hours of IMC to get my skill level back. Had time to grab this picture though, taken at 3,500 feet near Milton Keynes - views like this make you realise how lucky we are!

I'll get to OB in the next few weeks.

DW.
http://www.claireandben.com/clouds.jpg

stue
23rd Jan 2006, 08:30
Great Pic mate! Cant wait till i get my IR!
Glad you got up flying though:ok:

Zulu Alpha
23rd Jan 2006, 09:27
Sorry you didn't make it to Old B. Weather here was OK with reasonable vis which deteriorated at about 3.00pm.

For future reference the Norwich ATIS has a great actual and 8 hr forecast

The number is 01603 420 640

Lister Noble
23rd Jan 2006, 10:18
That's strange,I was at Old Buck yesterday and the vis wasn't good enough for me to do my land away at Cambridge,but I am just a lowly student and the conditions have to be better for me.
We were flying locally from 11.30 to 12.30 and cloud was down to 1500 ft in places.

Zulu Alpha
23rd Jan 2006, 10:29
Well I wasn't actually at Old B but 8nm South West and we had quite a few aircraft flying around, both locally based and passing overhead.

1500ft isn't bad

Lister Noble
23rd Jan 2006, 12:26
Zulu,we were airborne to the east of Old Buck, but they said it was better to the west.
Better luck next weekend,which looks promising at the moment.