PDA

View Full Version : CVR erasure

FIRESYSOK
20th Jan 2006, 22:43
Hi, does anyone know what the little red 'erase' button on the CVR panel does actually? Looking at my FCOM, it is not addressed. Is it a farce, put there by managers to give the crew peace of mind? I push it at the gate before and after I go flying. Am I just wasting energy?

DFC
20th Jan 2006, 22:47
I push it at the gate before and after I go flying. Am I just wasting energy?

I think that you need to have a talk with your manager. Erasing aircraft records can be illegal.

Regards,

DFC

ICT_SLB
21st Jan 2006, 04:08
From a purely systems point of view, the ERASE feature will remove all stored recordings when the aircraft is ON GROUND and PARKING BRAKE ON.

Rainboe
21st Jan 2006, 10:02
Ths CVR was installed essentially to provide a record of cockpit sounds for use in the event of serious accident resulting in Flight Deck crew loss or injury. It was never installed as a 'spy in the sky' to monitor conversations after a normal flight, or indeed to investigate conversations after an incident when those involved are able to give their evidence afterwards. As far as I am aware, it is every pilots' personal right to erase the recording whenever he so wishes. I understand it does actually erase the loop.

Rainboe
21st Jan 2006, 11:25
The question was about CVR, not a combined unit. I am not familiar with these- for larger aeroplanes, I believe a separate CVR is used. Which type of plane uses a combined unit? Also, I cannot imagine an 'Erase' button, even on such a combined unit, will ever erase the FDR side of the unit! The 'Erase' is purely for the pilot's right to erase the CVR.

mono
21st Jan 2006, 21:02
Yes, The erase button does indeed erase the entire CVR recording.

On the older tape loop type of CVR the erase was done by passing AC current though a coil of sufficient strength that the magnetic field produced covered the entire tape loop. Thus "recording" onto the loop and erasing any previous recordings. The AC used was a/c 400Hz and the check that the erase was carried out was to monitor the tape output via headphones and listen for a 400Hz hum. As previously stated the a/c has to be on the ground both engines stopped and the park brake set.

How the erase is done on newer flash memory type CVR's I'm afraid I can't answer.

I imagine erasing the CVR after an incident or accident however would be considered a serious offence