PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Vertex Standard VX300 xceiver?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
20th Jan 2006, 10:19
I'm still after a hand held for emergency use (in case of radio failure, since we're Liverpool based) in our Chippy, so needs to be small. The new Icoms appear not to work with a headset (see earlier thread), and I wondered if anyone had any experience of the Vertex Standard VX300 transceiver?

It seems to be compact and the price is attractive compared to the competition. Has anyone any experience of using one in flight? How does it perform?

SSD

L-Band
21st Jan 2006, 08:06
I pretty sure that this unit is not CAA approved.
As the ICOM is.

L

IO540
21st Jan 2006, 08:12
Does it matter?

L-Band
21st Jan 2006, 13:02
Yep it does!

L

IO540
21st Jan 2006, 13:25
How / why?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
21st Jan 2006, 19:13
We're talking emergency use only - in the zone, your main radio fails, the little VX300 is fished out of the flight bag.

Anyone know if you're likely to be able to talk to Approach OK?

SSD

Keef
21st Jan 2006, 21:05
I don't know the specific radio (new, isn't it?) but I'd be surprised if it wouldn't do that job for you.

However: I don't know if it has any problems working with a conventional aviation headset - that is a more important question. I have a variety of radios designed for other purposes, and none of those would work with an aviation headset microphone.

I bought me an Icom - the old big one with the (useless) VOR facility but with a headset adapter. That's done me good service over the years. It's most often used when on an IFR FPL to call for start clearance (saves the aircraft battery) and for getting ATIS and the like.

IO540
21st Jan 2006, 21:42
I bought an Icom A22 in 2001 following a radio failure in a rented spamcan. Excellent product, works well with the headset adaptor and the remote PTT switch, range about 10 miles with the whip aerial (if exposed to a window) and as much as a panel mounted radio if using a dedicated standard external aerial (via a 50 ohm BNC lead).

The VOR facility isn't useless; it works just as it should. I used it constantly when flying flight training spamcans on which none of the nav gear worked, so all I had was a GPS strapped to my leg, plus the A22 reading off a VOR radial as a 3-digit decimal. I have all the VORs in England programmed in the memory.

These go on Ebay regularly; the only drawback is the larger size compared to the new ones, but most of the new ones are not CAA approved which just means they can't be overtly sold by the usual UK pilot shops.

cheesyget
24th Jan 2006, 15:57
When I was in the States a couple of years ago I bought a Vertex Standard Pro-V transceiver ( no nav ) for this very purpose and because of its small size. I had to use it once whilst I was over there but touch wood haven't needed it here yet. I also use it for listening out at home ( Tarbock ), and on certain days have been able to pick up Sleap traffic!

Cheesy.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Jan 2006, 19:22
When I was in the States a couple of years ago I bought a Vertex Standard Pro-V transceiver ( no nav ) for this very purpose and because of its small size. I had to use it once whilst I was over there but touch wood haven't needed it here yet. I also use it for listening out at home ( Tarbock ), and on certain days have been able to pick up Sleap traffic!
Cheesy.

have you used it with an aviation headset?

SSD

cheesyget
25th Jan 2006, 13:56
Yep. It comes with a headset adaptor, but you need to buy a PTT switch to plug in to the line if you want to use it 'remotely'. It worked when I needed it and it only takes up a small space in the bag. Also, its got a metal case and feels very durable.