PDA

View Full Version : Prooning gone wrong

frostbite
19th Jan 2006, 12:47
Wonder if anyone can help ? (I have asked admin). As I write, now can't use bold/italics or ANY of the WYSIWYG tools that worked for me before. Even carriage return in my original (this line) gets lost when I post. Don't use smilies, but I bet they wouldn't work either. I've changed nothing here (XP, FF1.5) and I always (used to) have a bit of pride in my layout!

BOAC
19th Jan 2006, 15:24
The loss of CR is known and a 'feature' which is not going to change. 'Best' solution is to preview and then re-insert CRs before hitting 'post'.

Mac the Knife
19th Jan 2006, 15:43
"Have you tried using Internet Explorer? "

You're joking right? You can't have a site that is browser specific!:yuk:

"The loss of CR is known and a 'feature' which is not going to change."

You can't be serious! This is not a "feature" but a bug, and damned annnoying one at that.:*

[Edited to insert <CR>s]

BOAC
19th Jan 2006, 16:20
:) To quote from Danny (with his assumed permission, of course:) )

"In some browsers it appears that using the preview reply or possibly even when editing a post the function strips the carriage returns. Nothing we can do about it as it is a problem with the users browser and its interpretation of javascript."

Mac - NB the apostrophes around 'feature' :)

BTW, Mike, what were you trying to do with CR that didn't work?

Using the WYSIWYG eidtor I do not seem to have the CR drop on preview, but only on edit.

hobie
19th Jan 2006, 16:40
just a test to see what you guys are talking about ....:confused:
now lets see the preview ....:cool:
seems ok ....
is it just that I'm using internet explorer ......
Yep .... works fine for me ...:)
oh cripes .... :ugh: .... I loose the CR after preview too ... :{

Mac the Knife
19th Jan 2006, 16:49
"...is a problem with the users browser and its interpretation of javascript."

Then the script needs changing.

Onan the Clumsy
19th Jan 2006, 17:07
Mike For the younger readers, carriage return was the huge lever on a manual typewriter that would rotate the paper one line upwards & position the "carriage" - large moveable platform at the top of the machine
I must be even older because I thought that was called the "platen"

Mac the Knife
19th Jan 2006, 17:19
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be stroppy, but "...is a problem with the users browser and its interpretation of javascript." as something immutable just can't be.

A .js script is a .js script, not a mysterious black box that can't be fixed.
If the .js is stripping out <CR> then it's been told to do it, advertently or inadvertently, and needs to be fixed.

The days when webapps would rudely assume thaat everyone worth considering must be running Mr. Gates (now very obsolete) browser are surely long gone.

Even if different browsers do interpret js differently (odd, because most people are using the Sun JRE, since MS has now dropped it's "innovative" [and nonstandard] JRE) then including a browsercheck is trivial.

// BrowserCheck Object
// provides most commonly needed browser checking variables
// 19990326

// Copyright (C) 1999 Dan Steinman
// Distributed under the terms of the GNU Library General Public License
// Available at http://www.dansteinman.com/dynapi/

function BrowserCheck() {
var b = navigator.appName
if (b=="Netscape") this.b = "ns"
else if (b=="Microsoft Internet Explorer") this.b = "ie"
else this.b = b
this.v = parseInt(navigator.appVersion)
this.ns = (this.b=="ns" && this.v>=4)
this.ns4 = (this.b=="ns" && this.v==4)
this.ns5 = (this.b=="ns" && this.v==5)
this.ie = (this.b=="ie" && this.v>=4)
this.ie4 = (navigator.userAgent.indexOf('MSIE 4')>0)
this.ie5 = (navigator.userAgent.indexOf('MSIE 5')>0)
if (this.ie5) this.v = 5
this.min = (this.ns||this.ie)
}

// automatically create the "is" object
is = new BrowserCheck()

Sorry, but it won't wash...

Globaliser
19th Jan 2006, 18:57
"In some browsers it appears that using the preview reply or possibly even when editing a post the function strips the carriage returns. Nothing we can do about it as it is a problem with the users browser and its interpretation of javascript."I think this must be an introduced bug in this version of vBulletin, because vBulletin 3.5.0 (which I use on another site) doesn't have this problem with the same browser that I use so problematically for PPRuNe.

Mind you, that other site has servers that cannot cope with the load, unlike PPRuNe which remains pretty fast despite the much bigger pages being delivered, so I'm not going to complain too much.

hobie
19th Jan 2006, 19:21
I think this must be an introduced bug in this version of vBulletin, because vBulletin 3.5.0 (which I use on another site) doesn't have this problem
And I use another site that runs "vBulletin Version 3.5.1" and it works perfectly with IE .... :rolleyes:
I thought the layout was familiar .... :p

spekesoftly
19th Jan 2006, 20:02
Using IE and the PPRuNe 'Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing', CRs all seem to work correctly for me, in preview, edit and post.

If I use either the Basic or Standard 'Message Editor Interface' (User CP/Edit Options), then the CRs do disappear.

frostbite
19th Jan 2006, 20:14
Thanks for the replies so far, folks. I have tried all the options, including 'enhanced interface' - no change. It was all working for me but can't say when it went pearshaped, except last few days.
I love pprune, but if it's a case of having to use IE instead of Firefox......

Footnote: I see in posting options that HTML is OFF - would this have owt to do with it? Raised this with admin to no avail.

spekesoftly
19th Jan 2006, 20:28
This post using Firefox and 'Enhanced'

CRs still OK! :confused:

(Edited to add HTML code is also Off)

Onan the Clumsy
19th Jan 2006, 22:06
ok Mike I'll accept your but wasn't the "platen" just the rubber cylindrical device which was part of the carriage
but I'll raise you thethat would rotate the paper one line upwards that the paper would rotate not one line, but as many lines (or partial lines) as was selected on the "paper roll up selection control" :E

BOAC
19th Jan 2006, 22:07
Sorry guys and girls - just the messenger - please don't shoot! I'll make sure the 'gurus' get the message.

Frostie Footnote: I see in posting options that HTML is OFF - would this have owt to do with it? Raised this with admin to no avail.

I was involved in the asking there, and the message from Danny is 'its off, ok?' - OK - maybe a little more CRM than that..................:)

Globaliser
19th Jan 2006, 22:29
Footnote: I see in posting options that HTML is OFF - would this have owt to do with it? Raised this with admin to no avail.Nothing to do with the HTML option. The 3.5.0 board that I visit has HTML switched off, too, but works fine.

Ridley
19th Jan 2006, 23:01
Ok, contrary to popular belief, this isn't a feature we're keeping or considering.
It's a bug.

Trying to reproduce it, is another thing.

Could the ones who are having problems with the carriage returns, please go to their USER CP panel, and select EDIT OPTIONS and change their editor preferences at the bottom of the page. (from quote box, to standard, to WYSIWYG) and see if they are still having CR problems on every reply?

Thanks

Ridley...

BOAC
20th Jan 2006, 07:43
Ridley - posted here yesterday Using the WYSIWYG editor I do not seem to have the CR drop on preview, but only on edit.

hobie
20th Jan 2006, 09:38
Could the ones who are having problems with the carriage returns, please go to their USER CP panel, and select EDIT OPTIONS and change their editor preferences at the bottom of the page. (from quote box, to standard, to WYSIWYG) and see if they are still having CR problems on every reply?

here's the test ....

with the WYSIWYG ....

set on options .... :rolleyes:

yep .... that leaves the CR active for me after a preview ... :)

but out of interest I just checked my other board that uses vBulletin Version 3.5.1 and that is set to 'Standard Editor' .... everything works fine over there :\

Globaliser
20th Jan 2006, 09:42
Could the ones who are having problems with the carriage returns, please go to their USER CP panel, and select EDIT OPTIONS and change their editor preferences at the bottom of the page. (from quote box, to standard, to WYSIWYG) and see if they are still having CR problems on every reply?OK, tried all three.

Basic interface: CRs lost after previewing (the first preview looks fine, but the text entry box on that preview has stripped the extra CRs, so that any further previews only have single CRs).

Standard interface: Ditto.

WYSIWYG: Works OK. (But I hate the WYSIWYG editor!)

I'm on Win XP Pro, IE 6.0.

On a different issue, I'm having trouble staying logged in. I log in on coming to PPRuNe, but then after a dozen or so page views I get unexpectedly logged out. The second login usually lasts for longer, but doesn't always persist until the end of my session. Not sure what I can do about that, but mentioning it in case there are any tweaks that can be done at the server end.

BOAC
20th Jan 2006, 10:21
Glob - regarding point 2 - have you done all this? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204915)

Globaliser
20th Jan 2006, 10:56
Glob - regarding point 2 - have you done all this? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204915)Thanks for the reminder - I did it again and discovered that I'd missed a pprune.com cookie. Hopefully this will make things better.

frostbite
20th Jan 2006, 12:30
I have set 'enhanced' (cr/lf). But nothing seems to have changed and all the buttons on the row above the text are dead. It (cr/lf) sometimes works on edit but that's not really how it's meant to be, is it?

Ridley
20th Jan 2006, 18:50
Thanks Boac.

frostbite: We're still working on it, but it may be a browser version/type/javascript issue that may not be fixable for only one browser. (which is what happens when new functionality is created via Javascript and DHTML.)

If you are using IE, or AOL (you have my sincerest sympathy if you do), you may want to try a more universally compliant browser such as firefox.

http://www.getfirefox.com

Good luck.

Ridley...

DaveO'Leary
20th Jan 2006, 22:00
Just tried to send Tart1 a PM, being romantic (I was logged in) it took me about 10 mins to write.:) Click 'submit reply' said I was 'logged off' Ahhhhhhhh my best romantics' is lost!!!!!! Tart1 PM.

DO'L

BOAC
20th Jan 2006, 22:06
Have you opened the cookie jar?

hobie
20th Jan 2006, 22:45
write all posts using "Word" (or similar) & then cut/paste as required into posting window!

that's certainly what I would do for ten minute romantic literary forays .... :)

and if you save them all :confused: ... who knows,

there could be a book in it for you, eventually .... :p

PPRuNe Towers
21st Jan 2006, 10:24
And there is, of course, the highly technical option of using the back button/backspace key/cached history to return to the world of Mills and Boon replete with your prose and in all its glory. This works very well much of the time.

Rob

AerocatS2A
21st Jan 2006, 12:30
Testing with Opera browser and "enhanced WYSIWYG."
Carriage return
Carriage return
Time to preview.

Carriage returns have dissapeared!

Ausatco
22nd Jan 2006, 11:25
testing ie6
cr
cr
end

Ausatco
22nd Jan 2006, 11:35
set editor to wysiwyg

cr

cr

cr

Seems this fixed it

Mac the Knife
22nd Jan 2006, 15:24
Testing

Testing

Once upon a time

there was a little girl who lived all alone in the woods

and her name was Little Red Riding Hood

Check

Check

Seems OK with editor set to wysiwyg

Globaliser
23rd Jan 2006, 12:01
Glob - regarding point 2 - have you done all this? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204915)Unfortunately, the problem has recurred today, despite re-doing all that last week.

BOAC
23rd Jan 2006, 12:21
Glob - does that mean that it fixed it for a while?

Globaliser
23rd Jan 2006, 13:15
Glob - does that mean that it fixed it for a while?Yes, in a negative sense, in that until today I didn't get logged out in any session since I re-did it all.

But I got logged out twice in a session earlier this morning, and have been twice already in this session (prompted by receiving the notification e-mail from your post).

Not a big problem, just a bit puzzled when the other vBulletin boards I go to don't give me these issues.

BOAC
23rd Jan 2006, 13:45
So is that 2.5 days uninterrupted Pruning? I have no further ideas, except to check you still have PPrune.org 'allowed' for cookies, and then as per my link
"If after trying the above you are still having the same problem, please get back to us at PPRuNe admin and we will investigate further."

Globaliser
24th Jan 2006, 11:24
So is that 2.5 days uninterrupted Pruning? I have no further ideas, except to check you still have PPrune.org 'allowed' for cookies, and then as per my link
"If after trying the above you are still having the same problem, please get back to us at PPRuNe admin and we will investigate further."I did stop for food and sleep! :D

Seriously, many thanks. If things are still the same, I will do that when I get back after the trip I'm about to embark on.

Mac the Knife
24th Jan 2006, 19:55
Testing

Check

Check

Seems OK with editor set to wysiwyg

Except that you then can't paste!

Farkin 'ell!