PDA

View Full Version : VS and BA Pilot layoffs

strobes_on
22nd Sep 2001, 00:58
On the other side of the globe we are hearing all sorts of stories about crew layoffs with VS and BA.

Is there any truth in this or are the rumours just that.

Anyone?

Benny The Wheels
22nd Sep 2001, 01:15
Sadly it's true.

VS confirmed today that 164 permanent pilots, 80 Flight engineers, 19 pool pilots and 9 pilots working their notice will be leaving the company. That's 271 pilots & F/E's going. So much for the 20% Mr Branson told us it would be, it looks more like 35%.

And that's not to mention all the other redundancies within other departments.

Good luck to you all. It was fun while it lasted.

jongar
22nd Sep 2001, 03:26
Were they done according to seniority ??

crazyman
22nd Sep 2001, 12:00
My understanding is that all 747 Classic Pilots have been given three months notice. They are the most senior pilots in VS so this is pretty tough for them. BA have not announced who or how redundancies will be made (yet). There are many Pilots in BA over Normal Retirement Age (50) who could take a substantial pension now. I am sure in this wonderful world of selflessness they will volunteer shortly!

crewrest
22nd Sep 2001, 12:13
crazyman. What you say about Virgin is wrong. Get your facts right.

M.Mouse
22nd Sep 2001, 12:51
BA has circa 200 retirements already in next 12 months. I believe that of those able to retire before 55 many will, contrary to crazyman's unnecessary and quite untrue assertion. During the Gulf War we all took a 4+% pay cut in order that colleagues could be stood down on basic pay.

We may fight for our corner in good times but when the chips are down we do have a great deal of concern and loyalty for our company and our colleagues.

The situation at VS appears to be very bad. My sympathies to anybody losing there livelihood whatever the circumstances, it is a dreadful situation to face.

northern boy
22nd Sep 2001, 13:38
Crazyman for gods sake please check your facts before posting.Things are bad enough for us without hearing distorted versions of something which is not finalised yet.

Crewrest, do you know anything more than what is on the voice yet?. the ususal deafening silence from the company.

Carpe
22nd Sep 2001, 14:12
The position at VS is far from deceided yet. BALPA are in on-going discussion with management to ensure that LIFO principle is observed. It will be several days if not weeks before the number and nature of redundancies is finalised. That is as much as anyone knows, anything else is speculation.

[ 22 September 2001: Message edited by: Carpe ]

ALTSELGREEN
22nd Sep 2001, 14:45
Lets hope we don,t see another Dan-Air style fiasco at Virgin. If we do, it will have severe consequences for pilot employment in the UK. Every single pilot employed in the UK will have lost any shred of job security that they thought they had...... If there is any in this industry that is?

26point2
23rd Sep 2001, 20:38
I'm awfully sorry to hear that jobs will go at VS. My best mate is one of the last 164 pilots to join, he is on the 340. Is it likely that volantary redundancies from more senior air crew may reduce the compulsory number significantly?
Another question...Is it true that VS were going to trim its numbers,albeit,by a smaller amount, before the NY disaster anyway? :(

Noddy Staltern
23rd Sep 2001, 23:57
BAPLA have just begun the consultation process with the company over redundancies. The 164 permanant pilots is the MAXIMUM starting figure from the company. Negotiations will hopefully reduce this. The consultation process must last a minimum of 90 days by law, so don't expect any quick news.

Benny The Wheels
24th Sep 2001, 01:30
Noddy

You're right, the figures I gave in my previous post are MAXIMUM numbers. As you quite rightly say, hopefully, these will be reduced by negotiation. What I was told on Friday (by a colleague, not by the CC) was not the whole story. Sorry if I have caused anyone any undue worry.

With regard to the 90 day consultation procedure, is that a minimum or a maximum length of time? I was under the impression that it was a maximum, but I have been wrong in the past......