PDA

View Full Version : Airbus 320 question

picollo
18th Jan 2006, 17:57
hello all,
I am quite new to the 320 family and had a few questions.

what are thrust recovery doors on the IAE engines for??

is it sop for 320 crews to read out loud the FMA indications when there is a change? if so would anybody be able to provide examples??

thanks

cornwallis
18th Jan 2006, 22:38
You will find you are probably talking about thrust reversers.My company sop is to read out every fma change so that you dont keep saying what's it doing now!:}

Hand Solo
18th Jan 2006, 22:51
In my company we read the FMAs when take-off power is set (FLX/TOGA, SRS, RWY) to confirm the appropriate modes are engaged then in flight we announce changes to lateral modes (eg HDG to NAV or vice versa), any vertical mode change, arming and capture of LOC and G/S modes and all modes in the event of a go around (TOGA, SRS, G/A TRK). For autolands we also announce the absence of expected modes, eg no FLARE or ROLLOUT.

Down Three Greens
19th Jan 2006, 16:25
The thrust recovery door is a detatchable panel under the V2500 engine which when removed increases the EGT margin of the engine. Only removed on high houred/low EGT margin engines just before it goes in for a shop visit.

Yes, we also call the FMA on settting of take-off power and then if there is any FMA change. Helps with Situational Awareness. We also call the 'blue' (armed) modes too.

DTG

A330AV8R
19th Jan 2006, 20:11
A new silent deck procedure plus checklist is emerging out across most airlines now ...... Right now though my company still follows standard Airbus procedures , however I think we will be swinging the silent way pretty soon . .

Its up for approval with the regultors , personally its less work as you do not have to call out any FMA changes , your Checklists for eg When landing is ALL GREEN FLAPS FULL instead of the standard cabin crew autothr ecam callouts . . ..

will need some getting used to however this is being used a lot nowadays I believe !

As far as the thr recovery doors DOWN 3 GREENS got it pretty much covered !

now heres a Q

CAN THE BUZZER VOLUME BE ADJUSTED WHEN THE CABIN CREW CALL THE DECK ? IF YES HOW ? IF NO WHY NOT ?
:ok:

Down Three Greens
19th Jan 2006, 21:24
On a personal level it would be a sad day if the calls are removed. I think they are very good for Situational Awareness and confirming the current (and correct mode). I have not heard much about this new silent philosophy depsite being very up to date with manufacturers guidelines but would be very interested in the reasons for the drive.

The buzzer in the cockpit canot be reduced in volume without a Flight Warning Computer (FWC) change. Airbus do offer this as an upgrade but if an airline wants this, the cost is a function of the airline/avionics support.

Hope this helps.

DTG

Down Three Greens
19th Jan 2006, 21:28
On a personal level it would be a sad day if the calls are removed. I think they are very good for Situational Awareness and confirming the current (and correct mode). I have not heard much about this new silent philosophy depsite being very up to date with manufacturers guidelines but would be very interested in the reasons for the drive.

The buzzer in the cockpit cannot be reduced in volume without a Flight Warning Computer (FWC) change. Airbus do offer this as an upgrade but if an airline wants this, the cost is a function of the airline/avionics support.

Hope this helps.

DTG

Hand Solo
19th Jan 2006, 23:43
Removing the calls would be a very bad move for situational awareness. My current fleet have a very different philosophy towards FMA callouts from the Airbus fleet in my company and in my opinion the mode awareness is much poorer as a result.

picollo
20th Jan 2006, 15:00
Thanks for the replies,
At my company we do not call out FMA changes.the only time we do call out the FMA indications is during autolands.

SIDSTAR
29th Jan 2006, 02:01
We call out all FMA changes. It's godd for mode/situational awareness especially for those new to the bus. I believe Lufthans among others has gone the way of silent FMA changes. I'm sure it works for them but my experience has been that many pilots are unsure of what this aircraft is doing long after they have converted to it. Anything that helps that awareness is good in my opinion - it just depends on your viewpoint as to how it is achieved.

Having covered the engine instruments with the checklist on occasion (above 1500 ft on the approach) it's amazing how little awareness there is among pilots as to what power setting they have. This aeroplane encourages laziness as it generally works so well. Pity about the complexity of the non-normals.

junior_man
29th Jan 2006, 02:45
We don't call out FMA stuff except for LOC & GS capture on an ILS, Final Approach on an RNAV, and Land green on the autoland.
We verify that the FMA reflects any inputs we do on the FCU. I don't feel that calling other stuff out would make an improvement.

mcdhu
29th Jan 2006, 08:41
...........despite the tendency for pilots to like what they know, I too think that binning Fma calls would be a disaster. How many times have we heard
''Nav green to Sprimont'' and then when looking at the Fma ''Oops, no it's not''.

FCU/MCDU - Rumours

FMA - Fact

Cheers,
mcdhu

A330AV8R
30th Jan 2006, 13:28
heres the thing ! I am always open to change . .. if it's for the better !

You call out the FMA change , do you know what she just did ? ? ? doing it blindly means nothing . It has to be noted in your own Fmgs !!!

Moving onto Software on the MCDU .... I last flew a BUS that was fitted with somewhat of a MUTANT Software !!!!

It had a new face plate as in FMS 2 with the LCD screen .... old msn though .. 455 none the less , this was a different software as it had and Not someof the features of the FMS 2 only not in the usual places you would find it !!!

was quiet happy to finger the bugger .... Have you guys come across this hybrid ???

:ok:

Dubya
31st Jan 2006, 22:28
Could anyone please direct me to a good A320 tech site for endorsement pre-study. Is there anything oround similar to the B737 website b737.org.uk with its fantastic quiz page and explanations?

thanks in advance.

vapilot2004
31st Jan 2006, 22:59
Well Dubya, if your company has access goto http://www.airbusworld.com for some free resources.

I've also seen A320 FCOM's on Ebay more than a few times.:ok:

EDIT: Almost forgot - try This (http://www.airbusdriver.net/) - Not official - but pretty good stuff here all the same.

Dubya
1st Feb 2006, 02:43
vapilot2004

Very good info...
thankyou for your help...

blck
2nd Feb 2006, 19:36
Could anyone please direct me to a good A320 tech site for endorsement pre-study. Is there anything oround similar to the B737 website b737.org.uk with its fantastic quiz page and explanations?
thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, Airbus denies to distrubute information widely. It is very hard to find some supporting documents even for instructors :{