PDA

View Full Version : Am I hearing vortices collapse?

RJM
18th Jan 2006, 11:54
I'm a lowly PPL student, and an interloper from JB to boot, so forgive the naivety:

I live near an airport, under the final approach from a nearby beacon. Aircraft go directly over my house at about 800-1000ft by my guess.
The passage of large aircraft (737, 340 etc) is followed by what I took to be an echo.

Listening more carefully, I found that this 'echo' is audible in all conditions - full or partial cloud cover, or clear sky, especially when the ambient noise level (traffic etc) is low.

The 'echo' usually starts a second or two after the aircraft has passed, and begins as a 'whooshing rumble'. Then the odd bit starts. It could be described as a sort of 'longish light sabre zapping noise', if you seen Star Wars. There may be a couple of these noises, which then decay with a faint rumble into silence.

I am wondering if I am hearing the sort of refolding-in of the 'torn' still air, in other words the collapse of the vortices produced in the wake of the plane?

I can't hear anything like it from small craft including small jets, and it seems a little dependent on the approach speed of the large aircraft (there seems to be some variation there).

Does anyone have any idea about this apparent phenomenon?

:confused:

dv8
18th Jan 2006, 12:13
Not a vortex collapse but the vortex it self
I have taken my kids to watch the a/c land at STN. Standing amongst the approach lights of SW r/w. It is amazing on how loud the vortex really is

RJM
18th Jan 2006, 12:26
Aha. Thanks. I had never heard the noise until I moved to this location directly under the flightpath. It's a cool noise, actually.