PDA

View Full Version : Aviation phrases in foreign languages

smithgd
18th Jan 2006, 08:37
I was just wondering if anyone knows of a book or web site that can provide aviation terms in foreign languages? I have read various threads on the problems of flying abroad and not understanding the language and thus not building up a situational awarness picture.
I realise that it is not possible for me to learn several foreign languages to such a level that R/T is easy, but by learning the appropriate phrases my ability to understand what all the other aircraft are doing will be greatly increased. I don't need to be a fluent speaker but a good listener will greatly improve situational awareness.
I'm thinking for trips around Europe.
smithgd

Mariner9
18th Jan 2006, 09:00
Try http://flyinfrance.free.fr/ :ok:

Aussie Andy
18th Jan 2006, 11:45
Andy's patented French ATC crib sheet...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/andyhardyuk/France/fr_circuit.pdf

Print it in A5 and laminate, then strap it to your forehead...!

Andy :ok:

dublinpilot
18th Jan 2006, 11:55
Yes, Andys sheet got me through visits to two French only airfield during the summer. Thankfully neither tower was maned, which made it much easier.

Thank a mill Andy:ok:

dp

Aeronut
18th Jan 2006, 12:23
Just speak English - the international language of aviation.

Aussie Andy
18th Jan 2006, 12:31
the international language of aviationWho told you that!?

DublinPilot - you're welcome mate! BTW, look out for an email I will shortly send you...

Andy :ok:

IO540
18th Jan 2006, 13:06
A controller at an international airfield needs to be able to speak English, but others don't have to.

So, not a problem when flying into France, or out of France.

Except occassionally when the recorded ATIS is so bad nobody can understand it (La Rochelle for example).

smithgd
20th Jan 2006, 12:02
Aussie Andy and Mariner9 thanks for the info.

smithgd

'I' in the sky
20th Jan 2006, 14:01
Aeronut,
Even where the controllers can speak English they will still often use their own language when talking to their own native speakers so as smithgd says, if you can understand any of it you can build a better picture of what's going on.