PDA

View Full Version : Q Tip

planemad_bk
17th Jan 2006, 22:57
G'day!

Noticed on a Twin Commanche the other day that all its props were bent on the tips by about 90 deg. I was told its something called Q Tip. I've never heard of it before. Any of you aviators tell me how it works?

Looks2Young
18th Jan 2006, 05:43
http://www.hartzellprop.com/product_support/support_faqs.htm

Q-tip propeller blades are formed by bending the tip section of the blade 90° toward the face side.

Aerodynamic improvements include a reduced diameter and decreased tip speeds. This results in quieter operation and reduced tip vortices. The 90° bend reduces the vortices that, on traditional blades, pick up debris that can contact the blades and cause nicks, gouges and scratches.

barit1
18th Jan 2006, 12:21
Not sure if this is apocryphal -

I heard the tale of an FAA inspector walking down the flight line, encountered an aircraft with Q-tips, and wrote up a defect report on the spot grounding the aircraft.

The owner had to pay the local shop to do the paperwork to clear the "defect".
:yuk:

Brian Abraham
19th Jan 2006, 02:16
Barit,
Probably the same inspector who slapped a defect on an aircraft parked on the flight line with no engine. Out being overhauled.

Oktas8
19th Jan 2006, 06:42
An aircraft with the engine removed?

Well, the cockpit should have a had a prominent placard warning the pilot that the engine had been removed... Part 91 requires that for all unserviceable parts don't you know. :}

Of course, the aircraft MEL may have permitted flight with the engine removed. In this case, the inspector was definitely wrong to ground it.:E

Happynewyear,
O8

Brian Abraham
20th Jan 2006, 00:50
Octa,
Reminds me of the story of military pilot training where pilot us'ed aircraft (Vampire) due inability to get the thing to start. No engine. Was a set up but dont recall if it was instructor or a student.