PDA

View Full Version : Pitch Rates

XPMorten
16th Jan 2006, 16:39
Hi all,

For simulation purposes, I'm trying to get a picture of
what pitch rates you pilots get when pulling the yoke (Boeing, Airbus).
Also, what limitations are build into the FBW, stickshakers etc.
I assume FBW has G-load limitations -1 / 2,5 G's?

Few have probably tried to pull at full force or have time
to meassure this, but if you could give me some qualified
guessings on how many degs/sec you get when handflying it would be
great :)

Cheers,

XPM

Junkflyer
16th Jan 2006, 17:21
We pitch 2-3 degrees per second for take-off rotation. Normally14-17 degrees is target pitch, limit of 10 degrees until off the ground to avoid tailstrikes. (747 -100/200)

MrBernoulli
16th Jan 2006, 19:05
B777 is 2.5 degs/sec to about 15 degs nose-up for take off. For an engine failure during take off it is 2 degs/sec to 10 degs nose-up.

XPMorten
17th Jan 2006, 12:31
Thanks guy's :)

One more thing, could you give me an idea of how much
you move the yoke on rotate in percent of FULL defelction?
Half?

Cheers,

XPM

Charles Darwin
17th Jan 2006, 20:26
Not quite half I´d presume. But I admit I´ve never given it a thought. Perhaps 25% ???

Pauliejet
19th Jan 2006, 12:06
On the B757-200 nominal pitch rate is 2.5 deg/sec, up to a target attitude of about 15 deg. If lighter, then up to 20 degrees, if heavier, between 13 - 15 deg. You can actually pitch past 20 deg att with my operator, up to the pitch limit, which is shown on the PFD as a pair of parallel lines, known as the Pitch Limit Indicator, PLI, or "eyebrows". This may be necessary to contain the speed on initial climbout to below the takeoff flap limiting speed.

On the B767-300, tail clearance becomes more critical, and so the pitch rate is a lesser 2 deg/sec, , to a target att of 15 deg, even less if heavy or operating in hot and high airfields, then target att may be as low as 11-12 degrees.

In both types, the engine failure scenario demands a lower pitch rate (approx 0.5 deg/sec less than the all engines case, to a lower pitch att than the nominal 15 deg.

The less takeoff flap you use, the less of a pull on the yoke required, in any case, it's not much more than 1/4 to 1/3rd full deflection, i guess.

Other types will vary, I'm sure.
You could go on all day but hope this is useful.

XPMorten
19th Jan 2006, 15:08
Excellent, thanks :)

If you exceed the G-limit (-1/+2.5), what happens in terms of warnings (Boeing)?

Cheers,

M

Pauliejet
20th Jan 2006, 12:09
as far as i know, nothing in terms of instrumentation warnings, but you will likely trigger an engineering warning, from whatever system of monitoring the individual operator may use....a g-exceedence however may often be due to approaching departure from normal company flight envelope, .... rapid change in pitch.....bank angle exceedence ...etc, so one may experience an overspeed warning, a bank angle EGPWS type annunciation or in the case of high pitch att/low airspeed, an ALPHA indication on the PFD.