PDA

View Full Version : Experiences about buying a type rating

aviatn
14th Jan 2006, 11:22
Hey guys,

I know fully well that this particular topic provokes arguments. This is not my intention. But still, which company can be recommended to purchase a rating on either 737 or 320.
Hourwise I am sitting at around 3200TT an can. ATPL, with about 800 on the Cheyenne.
Any thoughts nad info are appreciated.
Thanks

Safety Guy
15th Jan 2006, 20:36
Are you looking to get a job in Canada?

aviatn
16th Jan 2006, 05:53
Yes, bit I am very open minded as far as location is concerned. I hold the Canadian ATPL and would like to add the rating to my license.

Safety Guy
16th Jan 2006, 12:09
Unless you have a promise of a job from an operator (in writing), I would not waste my money. If you're looking to work in Canada, your job prospects don't improve much with a rating. Your hours are below the minimum for the only A320 operator that would care if you have a rating (Skyservice), and Air Canada couldn't care less what type rating you have. As for the 737, Westjet's minimum hours are also higher than your current experience. You might have a shot at Sunwing (new operator, winter time operation out of YYZ) or First Air, but that's about it.

Do yourself a favour, and invest your money wisely. The type rating at your experience level is not a good investment. Keep building hours and look for a job with a regional airline like AC Jazz.

doo
16th Jan 2006, 19:16
If you hold a JAA ATPL with a type rating on it and can produce evidence of having flown at least 50 hrs in the last 12 months, then all you have to do is take your Jaa ATPL, logbook, and CATPL to Transport Canada, and they will add the type rating to your licence(for a fee).

aviatn
16th Jan 2006, 19:34
Thanks for your replies guys. I am not too keen on flying in Canada. It is the only country I have ever flown in. So of course I wouldn't mind continuing. But the middle or far east wouldn't be bad either.
Currently I reside in Germany and must say that I truly love the place.
Since the canadian ATPL is well regarded I would like to add a type rating to it and try my chances somewhere else.