PDA

View Full Version : Faucett Boeing 727 Fuel Exhaustion 9/11/90

Continuous Ignition
14th Jan 2006, 00:45
Does anyone have a link to the accident report or more info on this accident that happened off the coast of Newfoundland?

I've Googled it but came up with nothing more than just the basic facts. Would really like to get ahold of the whole report if its out there still..

Thanks in advance!

Date: 09/11/1990
Airline: Compania de Aviacion Faucett SA
Aircraft: Boeing 727-200
Fatalities/No. Aboard: 18:18
Details: The aircraft ran out of fuel and crashed into the ocean. The last message that was heard from the crew was they were low on fuel and preparing to ditch.

lomapaseo
14th Jan 2006, 13:24
I don't have anything on this, but I recall the problem was that it fell into a crack as far as investigation and reporting. It was a case of who should do the investigation and incur the costs vs the likely benefit from the detailed investigation.

The flight was as I recall was not a commercial flight (no citizen passengers) and being at the bottom of the sea, a lot of money would have to have been expended to examine the hardware.

One has to ask themselves, considering the last radio call, just what further investigation and likely recommendations would have resulted.

Golf Charlie Charlie
14th Jan 2006, 13:29
It was a positioning flight on the way back to Peru from Malta. It had been on lease to Air Malta. Most if not all the people aboard were Faucett employees.

Continuous Ignition
14th Jan 2006, 14:43
Thanks for the reply! Any link to the accident report? Would make some interesting if not chilling reading...

oldebloke
14th Jan 2006, 17:19
There was no report of this accident Released.Under ICOA art 13 the country of registry ,Peru?,should have 'produced' the report.Shortly after the accident there was a 'change' of goverment,and nobody followed up on the ICAO requirement.As an accident Investigator for Canada's airline Association ,of the day,Calpa,I recieved several documents from ATCand pilot reports(of the US crews that conversed with during the Accident),but no one(TSB,NTSB) formulated a report.
The flight ,as has been pointed out was returning home after a summer stint with Malta.The crew where fit as testified by the ramp people in Iceland.The flight had nearly six hours of fuel on board for the 3.45 flight to Canada.After takeoff the flight was thought to have steadily turned left from the basic track of 234..After 4 hours ,with no navaid reception or VHF atc communication the flight started to 'call' on guard which was picked up by several US carriers.Upon discussion with all the crews involved,it was establihed that the flight had 'drifted' southwest of it's track and was off(southeast) the Canadian coast.There was no VHFcommunication recieved via the long range site in Newfoundland(200 miles at altitude).The flight was restricted to below FL270 due no HF fitted.The interflight interchange of weather(on radar at long range) at position ,cloud cover,and sun position established that if the flight took up a Northwest heading it was only approx 250 off the coast.Radar showed up evidence of a 'squall line'between the flight and the coast.Later contact with the flight was establihed via a second air (US)carrier.Upon querying the flight situation the Peruvian crew stipulated that they were at 6000'on a Southwest heading preparing to Ditch as they didn't want to penetrate/cross the Weather off the coast.
It's believed that the Chief Pilot,the working pilots and their families were onboard,retuning to Peru.
The seas were quite rough at the time,and a report came 24hours later from a Russian Fish boat of sighting of the aircraft,The fish boat's position was suspect as it was within the canadian Boundaries.Later wreckage was picked up in the form of Tarpaulins etc.:confused:

Continuous Ignition
14th Jan 2006, 17:41
Very sad indeed... Thanks for the info... I knew someone on here would be able to come up with something...

EyesToTheSkies
14th Jan 2006, 22:38
Some info here, although not a lot more than has already been said.
http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19900911-0