PDA

View Full Version : Instructors Rating - Toronto

skybaron
13th Jan 2006, 14:35
Can anyone recommend a good a flight school for an instructor's rating in the GTA? I know that there are plenty around, Island, Brampton, Wellington, but I'm searching for the best value for the dollar.

Any replies, are greatly appreciated.

Also, if you have the time to answer this one: Should I obtain my FI rating, or convert my licence to JAA (EU citizen)? Either way, I have minimum experience - CPL/IR (250hr), and each option roughly will cost the same.

Cheers.

Rosbif
13th Jan 2006, 16:05
Go JAA. Three years from now, you will be building time in a 737. If you go FI in Canada, you will be hustling for students and getting nowhere.
Just my opinion.

cplpilot
13th Jan 2006, 16:18
i agree with Rosbif, in EU 250-300 hours can get you a well paid job.
My friend got an executive job with 400 hours and another friend got a 747 job in Bergamo (Italy) with 900 hours (from being an instructor). The salary is 3 times higher than here too!!!
Here you have to work in a flying school for peanuts then work in the ramp tor 2 years and after MAYBE you get a flying job that pays 27000$ per year!
I am looking for some online training to convert my licence too....

VeRmiLLioN
14th Jan 2006, 13:20
Try Toronto Airways. They usually hire candidates who complete and pass the rating. Lots of students and lots of aircraft.

skybaron
15th Jan 2006, 01:25
Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my inquiry. Thus far, it is 2 to 1 in favour of a European venture - and quite honestly, this is the type of feedback I was looking for. I'm not too keen on hustling for students, and working 5 years for seriously bottom end pay. Don't get me wrong, I would love to instruct, because above all - it is still flying; but, seeing that I'm not in my early twenties with years to spare, the only solution would be to skip across the pond, and go for the gusto. Europe.

Again, thank you all for your replies.

rotornut
15th Jan 2006, 14:14
And the weather in Toronto can be pretty frustrating. I don't imagine any instructors made a cent last week in this city.

skybaron
16th Jan 2006, 04:51
lol. True enough about last weeks weather, but then again, I can't imagine the UK to receive year-round VFR either. In any case, the inconsistent pay of instructing can be absolutely detrimental to one's lifestyle - especially if no outside sources of funding (or worse - Mooching) are available. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not the type to love the 9-5 lifestyle or be thinking about pensions. Like all of us, to do what we love and get paid for it is enough, but the pay truly has to be enough - enough for the necessities. Otherwise, passion and career prospects become nothing more than a hobby. And that thought just pisses me right off - a 40K+ hobby - OUCH! Let's hope the Euro venture brings more than just good coffee and ridiculously good looking women.

skybaron
17th Jan 2006, 01:21
To Cplpilot - if you're considering an ATPL course via distance learning, let me know what you think is the best bet. So far, NAC seems to be the cheapest (with currency conversions), but their texts don't exactly inspire confidence. It seems that it may be one of those courses where you just pay to enroll, and the rest of the material, you have source out yourself. Anyways, AFT doesn't seem like a bad choice. Their texts are published by Jeppesen, and are also somehow affiliating with Delta Training Academy. Aside from the the sterling problem, AFT requires you to be there for 3 seperate weeks to complete their modules (NAC only requires 2 weeks).
Confusion.

cplpilot
17th Jan 2006, 12:48
Skybaron, check your PMs....
Thanks UB6IB9 ;) !!!!!!!!

Lembrado
17th Jan 2006, 17:26
Skybaron

Getting a job in the EU isn't as easy as you all appear to think, especially with 250-300 hrs.

I would suggest becoming an instructor in Canada, whilst doing the distance learning. Then after 1000hrs total finish converting to JAR. On that note converting to JAR is way more expensive than doing an FI rating, especially with 250hrs. With that TT you will have to do the full JAA instrument rating. I believe that with >700hrs you only have to do 'training as required'.

The rules may have changed. check out LASORS on the UK CAA website for a more definative answer.

Whatever you decide to do - enjoy it!

L

cplpilot
17th Jan 2006, 18:41
I agree, in europe is not easy but you can find a "Heavy-metal" job with few hundreds of hours and get a good salary. You still need to know someone (like here) that push you in though.
Here is VERY, VERY difficult to get a job (even if you know someone) in a 206 with 2000TT. I know people that got their instructor rating at TAL and after they had to look for a job somewhere else, some got hired and are making no money!!!!
An instructor rating a TAL (geat school, don't get me wrong) is about 8000$, IF you get the job you will make 15000$ per year:ugh: If you consider the cost of living in Toronto and the taxes you will NEVER get those 8000$ investment back, plus, when you get to your ATPL and 1500TT LOCAL flight time, your resume' is good for a ramp job, KFC, Wal-Mart or Home Depot.
If you are 19-20 years old looks good otherwise... EUROPE!!!!

skybaron
17th Jan 2006, 22:04
Lembrado,

True enough on the fact that jobs in Europe don't come easy, BUT, do they come easy anywhere - here? It's obvious that a little bit of luck, and more importantly - timing, play a crucial role in locking in a position in any profession. So, no I don't think that a European venture is a "walk in the park." (I hope so though).

Also, the instructing idea while completing the ATPL modules would most definitely work. In this matter, I could be killing two birds with one stone; However, seeing as that I am no heir to the Rockafeller throne, I think that my finances have decided for me. Not an option - its either Europe, or FI.

As for the cost of each, well, one should check out Toronto Island's rates (the real costs) for an FI course, because it sure doesn't come cheap at just over $9000 Cdn. (a/c rental, fuel surcharge, landing fees, instructors rate, location/distance of practice area, and let us not forget - our taxes = $$$)
JAA conversion: ATPL $3500 (groundschool + exams at NAC); CPL test 170 (can be done in less than 5hrs $2000); medical $1000 (UK Class 1); and finally - the IR (15 hrs must be done with 10 available in simulator - cost varies).

Now, it is without question that I am assuming all my conversion training would be completed in a minimum amount of time. And perhaps that on completion, costs may be slightly higher than that of an FI rating, but surely not by much. More importantly though, I will try cut my costs for the flight rentals at all times (ie. don't rent a twinstar if the PA44 is up for grabs etc.)

All in all budd - in the end - it's an adventure, and as you said, that whatever path is chosen - I should enjoy it. Very true. So why not leave to try something new, something that can be attainable? We live once, and quite honestly, I don't feel like kicking around T.O. listening to Daryl Dommer (ph) and those frickin traffic reports on the 401 anymore. :yuk:

UB6IB9
18th Jan 2006, 05:42
hahaha..tutto a posto cpilot!!!! i'm still wrestling with the italian consulate here in T.O......as soon as i get that passport it's jaa for me.

cheers

watty
5th Feb 2006, 14:53
Durham Flight Centre. Oshawa.

Cheapest rates in GTA. Wicked school.

Ask for Andy, I'm from the UK too and an instructor there.

Ontariotech
5th Feb 2006, 17:28
Watty...

Good choice. And you are only a 5 minutes from the training area over Scugog, that turns into more time learning.

I also know that Canadian Flight Academey is a good school. I received my PPL through them. My instructor was Brad Kirkton, a great instructor, last I heard, he took a job in the states flying Mitsubishi's.

But I think CYOO is the best bet for learning in the GTA area.