PDA

View Full Version : Westjet New Hires

readytocopy
11th Jan 2006, 23:15
How long would it take if someone got hired today at WJA to get upgraded to a Captain. Would anyone know?

in limbo
12th Jan 2006, 01:18
Currently guys just at the three year mark are going to see an upgrade real soon. As far as the future is concerned only time will tell but I think it will be more then three years.

jeff748
17th Jan 2006, 17:29
How long for an upgrade?

Just be thankful if you live and work in Canada and you have a :mad: job in the air.

There are those of us who are forced by market trends to commute 1/2 way around the planet to go to work and when we finally get back we have different cars and (because they died) pets, and our daughters have grown from girls to women. Seedlings planted are now trees, and all through this we are forced to fly in the third world.

Oh, sorry, I was flying in the third world before I left Canada...

Upgrade my :mad: ! Go haul some freight by hand!

sepia
18th Jan 2006, 01:46
Dear Jeff748,

With a positive attitude like that I wouldn't be shocked if you have some major Canadian players knocking on your door and ringing your phone off the hook.

love,

sepia

ps: Enjoy 1/2 way around the world. Looks as if you might be on an extended stay.;)

jeff748
18th Jan 2006, 02:55
Having worked for a couple of "major" players in Canadian aviation in my career already, ending up on the street both times after thinking I could retire on these jobs, I've earned my wings, and my upgrade.

The collapse of these companies was due solely to market trends. After these experiences I have a realistic attitude.

I have also hand-balmed over 13 million :mad: pounds of freight in the Arctic over 10 years in that frozen wasteland. :ouch:

A pilot candidate shouldn't apply for and work in a company simply to keep their finger on the "upgrade pulse". Employers value a dedicated employee with realistic expectations and practical experience in this industry. They do not necessairily value those that are there simply there to count the days before an upgrade.

Basically, you'll get your upgrade when your employer feels you're ready, whether or not you count the days, flight hours, or seniority numbers.

Remember: Aviation in Canada is a two-week love affair: Love your job for two weeks- get paid for it- repeat.:D

xo

P.S.: Actually, Sepia, the phone IS ringing off the hook these days... :)

sepia
19th Jan 2006, 01:12
I wonder if they'll catch the fact that you're bi-polar in the interview? Make sure to quote the fact that you've moved 13,000,000lbs of freight in the arctic also.

punkalouver
27th Jan 2006, 02:54
Hand-balmed? Do you mean hand-bombed? I'm sure you you hand-balmed something in the arctic 13,000,000 times. Please...Tell us how you earned your wings and upgrade?